Monday, February 24, 2020

Improvements to Blog

      You might have noticed that there are three new "features" now showing on my blog. One is simply a counter that shows the number of times people have actually looked at a blog page (amazingly they call this "pageviews").  The number represents the total for all-time. It doesn't have much meaning but it is somewhat interesting.  If I were selling advertising it might be important but I have no interest in advertising.

      The second feature is a search engine and it is located right underneath the Pageview counter.  As far as I know this will search for keywords on the blog (at  least that is my intention).  I suggest you just keep it simple and try your family names one at a time or other key words.  The search engine is provided by Google and should work fine but I have not experimented with it.  Let me know if you encounter any problems.

      The third feature is called "Labels" and is also a search function of sorts.  The purpose of this feature is to help you find a subject, family, or person on the blog.  I am in the process of "tagging" each of my 800+ posts with a Label; 99% of the time it is just one word, but a few times I have used two or even three words.  The Labels are shown on the right side of the main page underneath "Links" with a number next to them; the number represents the number of different posts that contains that particular keyword or Label.  Be mindful that I am still in the process of attaching Labels to my posts and it will take a week or two to complete that task.  I am working backwards and right now I am only about 20% complete.  It is slow work.  

      Other than that everything is the same.  I might warn you that I will turn 81 next month so at some point I will have to stop doing this.  I'm hoping there will be someone willing to step up and take over when that time comes.  I am now in my eight year of posting and it has been fun.  I've learned as much as you and met some very nice people along the way.  Maybe the good Lord will let me do this another eight years but don't count on it.

Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment