DRS. G. F. and J. J. MITCHELL, physicians and surgeons of Beaver Dam, Ohio Co.,
are the sons of Dr. James A. and Jane Mitchell. The father was born in Maryland
about 1792, and immigrated to Kentucky in 1817. He was a remarkable man in many
ways. He was educated for the Roman Catholic priesthood, and a graduate of St.
Mary's College, Georgetown, Ky., but at the age of thirty-three he renounced
the faith of that church, and became a member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, and subsequently a local minister of the same body. He followed the
profession of teaching for thirty years, and was eminently successful. He also
practiced medicine for some years previous to his death, which occurred September
7, 1875; his wife died in June, 1873. They were the parents of sixteen
children, of whom eleven are now living: William C, a farmer residing in
Breckenridge County, Ky.; B. A., a tobacco merchant in Hancock County; A. G.
and T. G., farmers in Hancock County; George P. and J. J., the subjects of this
sketch; Rev. F. A., a clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal Church in
Louisville, Ky.; Mrs. N. E. Williams; Mrs. Phelon, of Terre Haute, Ind.; Mrs.
Eliza Peterson; and Mrs. Lucretia Elliott. The parents first settled in
Breckenridge County, Ky., and in 1840 removed with their family to Hancock
County, where Dr. G. F. Mitchell was born September 27, 1843, and Dr. J. J.
Mitchell, April, 1847. Both received a liberal education in their father's
school, and both graduated at the Louisville Medical University. Dr. George F.
was first married to Susan D. Fisher, a daughter of Stephen Fisher; she died in
1869, leaving one son. The Doctor was next married to Amelia Josephine Duke,
daughter of William and Julia Duke, of Ohio County. This union is blessed with
a son also. Dr. J. J. Mitchell was married, in 1868, to Edna D. Jarnette, of
Hancock County. They have had four children, three of whom died in September,
1884. Dr. G. F. Mitchell and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, while Dr. J. J. and family belong to the Baptist Church. These brothers
were among the first to settle at Beaver Dam, on the completion of the
Chesapeake, Ohio & Southwestern Railroad through the town in 1871. They
have a fine practice throughout the county, and have achieved an enviable reputation
for their skill in the practice of medicine as well as for their attainments in
the knowledge of medical science.
Source: J. H. BATTLE, W H. PERRIN, & G. C. KNIFFIN 1895
Burial for Dr. George F. Mitchell and Dr. John J. Mitchell at Beaver Dam Baptist Church Cemetery.