Saturday, June 29, 2013

William Logan Barnard

William Logan Barnard


William L. Barnard, born in Maryland in 1759, died in Kentucky before 1845. In 1797 or 1798, he moved to Ohio County, KY. He served as a private in the Rev. War with the Maryland Militia and was married to Sarah Pigman. He was in Captain Maroney's Company and Colonel Griffith's Flying Camp. William did receive a pension, but his wife and heirs did not. His pension number was S16315. This information is from the DAR Patriot Index. His pension application indicates that he served at Trenton and White Plains and was discharged at Philadelphia after six months. His pension was 20 dollars per year and began when he was 75 year sold in 1833.

He is listed as 81 in the 1840 Kentucky Pensioners Index which would make his birth date more likely 1759. The regular Ohio County census shows him as over age 80 and there is one female, age 20-30 in the household..........also some "free colored females" as well as 2 female slaves. The 1840 Ohio County pensioners list shows him to be 81.

John and Nathaniel Barnard are possible fathers of William Logan as both were residents of Frederick County, Md. between 1749 and 1762.


Wednesday, June 26, 2013

THE FORMATION AND BOUNDARY CHANGES OF OHIO COUNTY

THE FORMATION AND BOUNDARY CHANGES OF OHIO COUNTY

            This posting is an attempt to educate the readers of this blog regarding the creation and formation of Ohio County and how its boundaries changed from its original size and shape by reason of political changes in the 1800’s.  This is important to genealogical research because some of your Ohio County ancestors might have lived in Ohio County at a certain time and, without moving, found themselves living in another county. Therefore, you would have to conduct your research in two different counties to find all available information.  The changes to the borders of Ohio County were most likely prompted by the citizens who actually lived in those areas; perhaps they were driven by having a better road to a neighboring county seat; or perhaps these changes were more political in nature and were driven by politicians instead of citizens. I have not researched the causes of these changes, but we have to assume it was done for practical or political reasons. You can imagine as settlements were made farther and farther away from the courthouse, it was a great inconvenience for a man to travel a long distance by horseback or wagon to transact his legal business.  This hardship caused a demand for the creation of new counties and courthouses, and happened frequently in the early history of Kentucky, all over the state, and as late as 1939. 


            To understand these boundaries and changes to Ohio County we should start with the beginning. Kentucky was originally part of Virginia and was called Kentucky County.  This is a map showing Kentucky County, Virginia in 1776. 

           In 1780, as shown in the following map, Kentucky County, Virginia was divided into three counties.  Jefferson County, Virginia included the land that eventually became Ohio County, Kentucky.



            In 1784 Nelson County, Virginia was derived from part of Jefferson County, Virginia, to be legally effective the following year, as shown in the following map. This includes the area that later became Ohio County.


              In 1792 Kentucky was separated from Virginia and became a state. As this was done the new Kentucky legislature started the further division of the large counties and Hardin County was derived from Nelson County, legally effective the following year. Hardin County includes the area that later became Ohio County. See the map below.


         Next, in 1798, the Kentucky legislature officially created Ohio County, taken from Hardin County, as shown in the map below.  This was legally effective the following year. Note that Ohio County was much larger then than it is now. Note that Muhlenberg County was created at the same time.


        In 1809 Henderson County was enlarged by taking a small portion of the eastern part of Ohio County. See map below.


         In 1810 Grayson County was formed from parts of Ohio County and Hardin County, as shown in the map below.


        In 1815 Daviess County was formed from part of Ohio County, as shown in the map below.


        In 1829 Hancock County was formed from parts of Ohio County, Daviess County, and Breckenridge County, as shown below.


           In 1830 Daviess County grew larger by taking a small part of Ohio County (too small of an area to show on this map).


         In 1831 Breckenridge County grew larger by taking a small part of Ohio County (too small of an area to show on this map).


         In 1854 McLean County was formed from parts of Ohio County, Daviess County, and Muhlenberg County, as shown below.


          In 1871 Butler County grew by taking a small part of Ohio County (too small of an area to show on this map).  This represents the final change to Ohio County’s borders.


            When researching your ancestors I suggest you try to pinpoint exactly where they lived. Of course the census gives us some information regarding location, but additional information can be gleaned from deeds and tax maps.  Both deeds and tax maps can be found at the Ohio County Courthouse and I have found both offices very helpful; however, it is not something you can do by phone. By combining information from successive deeds from owner to owner and tax maps you can trace ownership to the present time and get accurate knowledge of where someone lived, boundaries of farms, etc. I was able to buy a copy of a tax map that clearly showed the boundaries of my g-grandfather’s farm and get the name of the current owner so that I could get permission to walk across that property. This type of research is not particularly easy, but well worth the effort. Further, there are maps that will aid you. Many different kinds of maps may be found at local, State, or regional libraries, museums, or historical archives. Most local librarians can also help you gain access to local maps. On this page at the upper right you will find a link to nine older maps of Ohio County that I think are interesting (shown as Maps of Ohio County).

        You can also look for maps at these sites:

http://www.usgs.gov/  These are topographic maps, with great detail.  It is the sort of map that you would want to use to plot your ancestor’s farm, for example.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/gmdhome.html       This is the Library of Congress web site for maps.  While writing this I found a 1915 map of Fordsville on this site. It is in two images. If you go to this site (see below) you can click on the map image and then zoom in at various locations by clicking one of the “Zoom In” buttons and then clicking on the map – it will zoom on the place where you click the map. If you do this you can read the names written on the various buildings and see the other detailed information. These maps were created for fire insurance purposes (they are called Sanborn Maps) and they are wonderful for genealogists. Here is the web site for the two Fordsville maps: http://www.loc.gov/rr/geogmap/sanborn/city.php?CITY=Fordsville&stateID=19 
The symbols used on the Sanborn Maps are described here: http://www.loc.gov/rr/geogmap/sanborn/images/sankey22c.jpg

If you are lucky enough to live in or near Louisville you can visit The Filson Historical Society, where you might find a map (or other information) to help you. John Filson created the first map of Kentucky and this organization was founded in 1884.  It has a wonderful library and research center.  http://filsonhistorical.org/

Another source for maps is found here: http://www.davidrumsey.com/ This site is extraordinary.

You probably know about Google maps.  If not, you need to find it and add it as a favorite site. Look here: https://maps.google.com/ Not only is it helpful for research, it is great for vacation planning, etc.  But you might not know about Google Earth. This is different from Google Maps and you have to download the software (free). This was a big help to me when I was planning trips to cemeteries in Ohio County and for finding a family cemetery on my g-grandfather’s farm. When you download Google Earth it will place an icon on your computer, so when you want to use it you just click the icon. Here is the web site for downloading Google Earth: http://www.google.com/earth/index.html

The most current Ohio County road map can be found at this site: http://ukcc.uky.edu/maps/ghm1999/ohio.gif

I’m told that the Ohio County Historical Society has a framed map in their museum that is dated 1886 and that this map shows the names of the owners of the farms throughout the county. You can purchase a copy of that map for $15.00.  Contact the Ohio County Historical Society at P.O. Box 44, Hartford, KY, 42347 – phone 270-232-0086.  The museum is located at 415 Mulberry Street, Hartford, KY.

And the last source for helpful maps is found on the US Gen Archives web site: http://usgwarchives.net/maps/kentucky/

            Good luck with your research. 

Sunday, June 23, 2013

HENRY DAVIS McHENRY

HENRY DAVIS McHENRY 




Henry Davis McHenry (February 27, 1826 - December 17, 1890) was a U. S. Representative from Kentucky, son of John Hardin McHenry; his mother was Hannah Davis.

Born in Hartford, Kentucky, McHenry attended the public schools at Hartford, and was graduated from the law department of Transylvania University, Lexington, Kentucky, in 1845. He was admitted to the bar in 1845 and commenced practice in Hartford. He was married on 27 Jan 1856 to Miss Jennie Taylor of Hardinsburg, a lady of fine literary accomplishments and authoress of a volume of poems much admired. He was said to be a large owner of coal mine interests, president of the McHenry & Rockport coal companies and of the Bank of Hartford. He served as member of the Kentucky House of Representatives 1851-1853 and 1865-1867. He served in the Kentucky State Senate 1861-1865. He served as member of the Democratic National Committee from 1872 until his death.

McHenry was elected as a Democrat to the Forty-second Congress (March 4, 1871-March 3, 1873). He resumed the practice of his profession in Hartford. He served as delegate to the State constitutional convention in 1890. He died in Hartford, Kentucky, December 17, 1890. He was interred in Oakwood Cemetery. The town of McHenry, is named in his honor.

Children:

Godfrey Taylor McHenry 1864-1896  
John J. McHenry 1869-1928  
Isabella McHenry Rolph 1870-1905  
Lemuel Hardin McHenry 1873-1963 

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Dr. Alexander Montgomery - Waco, Texas


By: Mrs. A. M. Woodward


Folk Stuff - Life Sketches - Pioneer History

Mrs. Ada Davis, P. W., McLennan County, Texas

REFERENCE: Mr. A. M. Woodward, Bosqueville, Texas, pioneer

Dr. N. J. W. Wortham, uncle of Mrs. A. M. Woodward came to Bosqueville, McLennan County before the Civil War. He purchased a large acreage of land in and around the present town of Bosqueville. He donated the land upon which the Baptist Church and the Methodist Church at Bosqueville, now stand and also, he donated the land for the Bosqueville cemetery, one of the oldest in the county. Robert Wortham was the father of Mrs. A. M. Woodward. Robert and Frank Wortham came with their mother to Texas, and stopped at Bosqueville about 1858 or 1859. Anyway, it was before the Civil War. Robert Wortham had sold his home in Louisiana before coming to Texas, but he had not bought any land when the war broke out. He enlisted in the Confederate service. When the war closed and he was mustered out, he returned to Bosqueville and soon afterward, married Miss Eleanora Scott, who had just graduated from the Bosqueville Seminary, at the time Prof. John Collier was president of the institution and Prof. Krause was the music teacher.

Her father came to Bosqueville about 1857 and placed Eleanora in the seminary. About 1852 or 1853, Mr. W. H. Cobbs, Sr., and Mr. Hawk Sparks had persuaded Prof. Collier to come to Bosqueville and establish this seminary. 

The Bosqueville Baptist church was organized in November of 1854 by Rev. Solomon G. O'Brian, and the Methodist church was organized before that time. In the very early days of the settlement, there was also a Presbyterian church, but it disbanded many, many years ago. Bosqueville was six miles north of the present town of Waco. Elder Solomon G. O'Brian, principal of the seminary, stressed classics and mathematics. The school was conducted in a large frame building, made of lumber hauled one hundred miles from East Texas, in ox-drawn wagons. The seminary operated six years. It closed when O'Brian accepted the pastorate of the Waco church in 1859. He was pastor of the Waco church for six years.

Dr. Alexander Montgomery of Hartford, Ohio county, Kentucky was one of the first doctors who moved to Waco, and he had a large practice in Bosqueville. He was one of the old-time botanical doctors, who made most of his medicines out of herbs that grew around them, i. e., lobelia and other plants. They thought it was almost a crime to give calomel. Dr. Alexander Montgomery was a graduate of a medical university in Ohio. The doctor's family consisted of his wife and seven children. He brought his wife and four children to Texas, traveling in a two-horse wagon, which was unusual at that time, for most people traveled in ox wagons. He "landed" at Waco Village, November 20, 1851. In a few weeks, his wife traded two bed quilts and a rag carpet which had been made in Kentucky, for ten acres of land, part of which is now in the city of Waco. It is near what is known as the "cedar brakes" out near Cameron park. This was wooded land, from which they cut fire wood and fencing material. It was the custom of most of those who lived in the Village of Waco, to purchase a "woods lot" as near town as possible. Two of the Doctor's children are buried in the old First Street Waco cemetery. One of his daughters was an honor graduate of the Methodist Female College, Waco. He practiced his profession for many years, and was the only doctor between Waco and [Claburne?]. He rode horseback and never turned down a call, day or night, fair or stormy weather. Dr. Barnett Montgomery was his son.

When the time came to decide which settlement in the county would become the county seat, Bosqueville gave Waco a stiff fight for selection because, at that time, Bosqueville was really a larger town than Waco Village.

Benjamin Moore was the first settler at Bosqueville, and the settlement sprang up about 1858. A Mr. Gamble operated a general store. Wortham's bend was named for the Wortham family which settled at Bosqueville in early days. Ben Giles built and operated the first gin in the community; Colonel Hamilton Brown donated land to add to the white cemetery and to make a negro cemetery. Other early families to settle at Bosqueville were the Gregorys, Scotts, McKenzies, Lillards, Crumps, Keas, Steinbecks, Blairs, Washingtons, Whites, Jenkinses, Waddells and Gorhams. Descendants of these first families are at present leading citizens of Bosqueville or of Waco.

Bosqueville was an early educational center in the county, and its seminary library was one of the finest private libraries in Central Texas. The collection belonged to Prof. George Anderson, a lawyer who taught in the law department of the Seminary. Among the oldest living students of this seminary is A. [Watt?] Scales of Lyle Avenue, Waco.

The first Masonic lodge in McLennan County was organized at Bosqueville in 1851, and known in its charter as Bosque Lodge No. 92. It was chartered January 23, 1852. Later, its name was changed to Waco Lodge No. 92. For a period of twenty years, Bosqueville threatened Waco as the leading town of the county.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Charles W. Hoskinson

Charles W. Hoskinson, Farmer, Section 3, P.O. Sampsel (Missouri). Mr. Hoskinson was born in Ohio County, Kentucky, February 9, 1841, his maternal grandparents being Thomas and Katy Ashby, both Virginians by birth, who moved in an early day to Kentucky. On his father's side his grandparents were Hugh and Nancy Hoskinson, originally from the Blue Grass state. Mr. Hoskinson's father, Charles C. Hoskinson, was born and brought up in Kentucky as was also his wife formerly Miss Tamer Ashby. The former was a farmer by occupation and he remained in his native state until 1862 when he died. Ten children blessed this marriage, and of these the following are deceased: Thomas W., Susan C., Cynthia J. and Margaret E. Those who reached maturity are Sarah E., now Mrs. Aaron Jewell; Joseph W., in Ohio County; Charles W.; James A., in Kentucky; Ruth A., now Mrs. Conrad Roder of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; John R. of Iron County, Missouri. Having been brought up on a farm, it was perhaps but natural that Mr. Hoskinson should choose that occupation as his calling in life. This he has since continued, and with the substantial results that only come of strict attention to business and care and thoroughness in the discharge of every detail. He now owns 110 acres of land. In 1861 he enlisted in the United States service in Co. D, 26th Ky. Infantry. He took part in the battle of Shiloh, and on the second day of the engagement was wounded, and then was sent to the hospital at St. Louis. In a month thereafter he received a furlough for 60 days, then went home and from there to Evansville, Indiana, going then three months later to Louisville, where he remained two and a half months. He obtained an honorable discharge in 1863, and in 1869 he left Kentucky and took up his location in the county. June 5, 1862 Mr. Hoskinson married Miss Sarah E. Ashby, daughter of Thomas and Cynthia Ashby, of the same community as himself. They have nine children: Charles T., born October 24, 1863; Frances A., born August 8, 1866; Susan M. E., born December 31, 1868; William A. L., born December 3, 1861; Edmund H., born May 5. 1874; Lillian R., born December, 12, 1876; Cynthia J., born September 29, 1879; Effie May, born April 7, 1882; and Joseph R., born April 10, 1884, and they had one son, John W. R., born October 13, 1885.           

The foregoing is from HISTORY OF LIVINGSTON COUNTY, MISSOURI, 1886. It contains a sketch of all citizens of the county at that time.


Friday, June 14, 2013

THE HISTORY OF TORNADOES IN OHIO COUNTY (Part 3 of 3)

Here is a newspaper story about the different storms in Kentucky and surrounding areas on the same day as the Ohio County tornado:

The Hartford Herald – April 2, 1890

RUIN!

A Cyclone, on Its Way From the South-West to the Atlantic Ocean,
Sweeps Down Upon Kentucky With Its Death-Dealing Whirls,

AND DEVASTATES OUR FAIR LAND!

Counties Suffer, Cities Demolished, Towns Blown Down, While Many Citizens Lie Buried Beneath Palling Ruins.

Railroads Injured, Telegraph Wire Down, and for Three Days After , the Great Storm Only Meager Reports Were Obtainable.

THE STORM OVER THE STATE

PATH OF THE STORM

Sergeant Burke gives his views: "At 8 o'clock this morning, 75th meridian time, the tornado was central around Leavenworth, Kansas, moving northeastwardly at a high rate of speed, with rains and a low barometer preceding it. Its course, like that ascertained for all storms of this type, was toward the northeast from its center. As it progressed, it appears to have increased in force, and when it centered over Nebraska this morning, it had become what was predicted for it, the most intense cyclone storm of the present season.”

VELOCITY OF THE WIND

"When the storm reached Louisville the wind had gradually increased from eighteen miles per hour to a velocity of forty-eight miles; the latter being attained twice before the chief force of the tornado made itself felt, and being sustained each time for a period of five minutes. But, at 8:30 o’clock, P. M., or close upon that time, the tornado manifested its full violence, and the wind then had a velocity for about a minute of not less than fifty-three miles per hour, being accompanied by frequent lightning and succeeded by a heavy fall of rain; amounting in all, during the passage of the storm, to thirty-eight hundredths of an inch, and followed by a clearing sky."

AT LOUISVILLE

About 8.30 o'clock P. M. Thursday Louisville was stricken by one of the direst  catastrophes from which any section of the country ever suffered. A mighty tornado, with a velocity and violence incalculable, struck the city at its southwestern limits and tore across the West End in a southeasterly direction, ploughing an appalling path of desolation and death. Square after square of residences and business houses were wrenched from their foundations and scattered like chaff.

The mighty stroke of the tornado fell with a suddenness that scarcely gave time for quickened heart-beats before those hearts were stilled in death. Twice before the wrenching asunder of life and homes and castles of trade, the impulse of the gale fought impatiently to accomplish the work reserved for the whirling tiger of the air, whose avant couriers they were. Twice, for five furious minutes each, they strove, and passed on screeching their balled rage. Then came a lull; but only for a little space, and then the tornado thundered over the doomed territory with terrible lightenings (sic) constantly ablaze.

From Eighteenth and Maple streets, diagonally across the city, crushing dwellings and business blocks like eggshells, toppleing (sic) down church steeples and wrenching warehouses to fragments, the dread visitant passed to the riverfront, leaving to mark the boundaries of ruin, a broad swath of wreckage and dead and mangled humanity impaled and weighted down or burning in the ignited debris. The belt of destruction extended from the west side of Sixth street as far as Ninth on Main, and an equal width across to the point where the city was first touched.

The situation at the Water Works is serious, and the city is threatened with a water famine. The massive standpipe was used to help force water into the reservoirs, was twisted and broken off about thirty-three feet above ground and the top was hurled fifty feet away, where it now lies a mass of brick and mortar.

On Market Street, for three squares north of Ninth street nearly every business and dwelling house was devastated. Houses were hurled into the street, and the debris in many places was piled thirty feet high.

The Union Depot at the foot of Seventh street, owned by Mr. C. P. Huntington, is a total loss. Not only is the valuable structure ruined, but a number of passenger coaches, which were standing under the shed, were mashed into a shapeless mass. The depot owners will have to stand this loss. The iron train shed was new and the C., O. & S. W. officials estimate the entire loss at not less than $75,000.

At Falls City Hall a Lodge of the Knights and Ladies of Honor was in session, two-thirds of the attendants being women, while in the same building was a dancing school of perhaps seventy-five children. The building was dashed like a house of cards, burying in  the debris souls, most of whom were either crushed or suffocated to death.

THE TOBACCO DISTRICT

The Pickett, Farmers and Globe warehouses escaped serious damage. The Old Kentucky, Ninth Street, Falls City, Green River, Enterprise, Louisville, Central, Cresent,  Sawyer, Wallace & Company and Old Rock Warehouses were totally wrecked. Headly & Company were partially wrecked by the falling walls of the Phoenix Storage Warehouse and Sawyer, Wallace & Co’s building.

There are various estimates as to the material loss. A conservative calculation makes it about $2,000,000. Most place it at considerably more than that, and only one at much less than that figure. Dan’s estimate is $2,500,000.

Prompt measures are being taken for the relief of the sufferers. The City Council has appropriated $20,000 for this purpose and $20,000 more has been subscribed by citizens of Louisville.  This sum will be increased in proportion to the requirements, and there is every reason to say to sympathetic outsiders that Louisville alone can and will prove equal to caring for her unfortunates.

Carefully estimated results place the dead at about one hundred, while several hundred are more or less injured.

AT RINEYVILLE

An awful scene met some men who went to a fallen house near Rineyville after the storm. A freight train was wrecked and part of the crew, responding to cries for aid, found the ruins of a large brick house, where nine maimed and bleeding victims were crying piteously for aid, or were hushed forever in the silence of death. The family, an old gentleman aged 80, and his wife, with a married daughter and her family, made up household. Of these, two were killed outright, while all the others were more or less injured. The old man, whose name was Panby, had been ill, and is no doubt dead from exposure and the shock. At last account one little girl had not been found, but was still beneath the debris.

AT CLOVERPORT

The storm lasted for several hours, and was the heaviest that has been witnessed here in many years. The roof of the Southern Methodist church was blown off. The Breckinridge News building was also partly unroofed by the storm, but damage was slight. People all over the town were considerably alarmed during the storm.

AT KNOTTSVILLE, KY

The storm was very heavy near this place. Mat. Adams and wife were both badly hurt their house blown down. All of John Pickerel's buildings, Wm. Bell's dwelling, John Heffner's barn, George Husk's house, Dr. Drury's barn, J. H. McDaniel's barn and Isham Metcalfe's house were blown down  There were eight people, besides a sick woman, at Metcalfe's, but nobody was hurt One of the children, a girl of ten was carried over a hundred yards by the wind.

AT WEST LOUISVIILE, DAVIESS COUNTY

Every business house in the town was literally torn to pieces, and every dwelling except one was either torn down or badly damaged. Several were killed, and many more badly injured. Henry Burch's house was carried fifty yards. Mrs. Burch was bruised up somewhat. Her baby, three weeks old, was found 150 yards from the house, entirely uninjured.  J. L. Blandford had a miraculous escape. His store blew away, leaving him penned up in an incredibly small space. He found his wife sitting on top of a fallen wall and his two-year old child under the wreck of the house, surrounded by fallen timbers. Both were entirely unhurt. The total estimated loss on business houses and dwellings amounts to more than $21,000.

HOBARDS, KY

The L. & N. freight, No. 57, J. H. Burch, of Owensboro, conductor, was wrecked between this place and Sebree. The engineer, Peter Burns, and head brakeman, W. W. Powell, were killed, and George Bridges, second brakeman, very badly hurt.

The cyclone blew a number of trees on the track, and the train ran into one of them. The engine was derailed and nine cars were piled on top of it. Burns and Powell were buried at bottom of the wreck.

Conductor Burch and the other train men saved themselves by jumping. The wreck is the worst the Henderson division has had for a long time. Two wrecking trains were at work on it all day.

IN WESTERN KENTUCKY

The swath of tornado which wrought such terrible destruction, is clearly marked through the State. Reports from Paducah, near which place the whirlwind must have entered Kentucky, give details of much damage. The new town of Grand Rivers, on the Cumberland river, was destroyed, and several people were killed. In Lyon county, many houses were razed to the ground. From Crittenden county the same story comes. Heavy storms are reported from nearly all the river counties. In Christian and Trigg, and in the southern part of the State, the life of and property was very heavy.

AT PADUCAH

Thursday's storm according to delayed reports, did considerable damage in Marshall, this State, before sweeping across the Tennessee, and so badly destroying Grand Rivers. In Marshall many houses and barns were destroyed, but, most fortunately, the loss of life was small. A full dozen of farms were swept clean and the loss of buildings alone will reach into thousands. The loss of life at Grand Rivers has been increased to three; a negro being found killed near that place, while the wounded numbered twenty-five. At that place, loss in property was $20,000.

CUMBERLAND RIVER

The cyclone struck the bridge of the N. N. & M. V. road, spinning it around on the piers, and dropping the entire bridge into the river. Bridge a total loss.

CRITTENDEN COUNTY

The track of the storm is a quarter of a mile wide, and it traveled thirty miles across the county parallel to and almost in the same track of a storm that occurred in 1852. At this hour four deaths are reported, and as many more possibly wounded seriously. The wounded will reach fifty-five or more. Residences were totally destroyed and a number of horses and cattle killed.

WEBSTER COUNTY

At Sturges hail one inch in diameter fell, and the wind unroofed several barns. At Sullivan, the wind was worse, destroying many outbuildings and wounding ten or twelve men and women. For several miles in Webster, between Clayville and Dixon, it swept everything away. Bed furniture and clothing have been found all along the road from Morganfield to Dixon. The killed and wounded at Webster will number not less than fifty.

AT BREMEN

The little town of Bremen, McLean county, was almost totally demolished, only two houses being left standing. A number of horses and cattle were killed, but no destruction of human life is reported, though several persons were badly wounded. The new brick school building, recently erected at a cost of $4,000, was wrecked.

NEAR SOUTH CARROLLTON

A house near South Carrollton, occupied by a Mrs. Davis, was picked up and blown 500 yards, literally tearing it to pieces and killing Mrs. Davis almost instantly. In the same neighborhood there were eight houses within two miles leveled to the ground.

OVERFLOWED DISTRICTS

Much damage reported from the districts overflowed by Green River. Many buildings that were surrounded by water were blown down, many of the wrecks being entirely submerged. Many buildings containing hay and corn that had been placed out of reach of the water were blown down, and their contents scattered in the water and destroyed.

CHRISTIAN COUNTY

The storm was very heavy here, doing much damage in different parts of the county. Caledonia and Bellview sustaining great damage.

FOSTERVILLE, TENN

This town, a small station of the Nashville and Chattanooga railroad was blown away. No one killed.

GALLATIN, TENN


This beautiful little city suffered heavy losses in property and life. Large buildings were blown down to the lowest foundation, and their occupants killed or crippled. All over Sumner county, the storm was very severe. 

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

THE HISTORY OF TORNADOES IN OHIO COUNTY (Part 2 of 3)

The Hartford Herald – April 2, 1890

DEVASTATION!

A Terrible Tornado Tears Its Terrific Way Through Ohio County,

The Trail of the Whirling Cyclone Sweeps Everything Before It.

Houses Blown Down, Barns Destroyed, Fences Leveled, Timber Felled, and Ruin Follows the Path of the Angry Tyrant of The Air.

Many People Left Houseless and Homeless in a Moment - Miraculous Escapes From Death - Two Children Killed Outright, Others Fatally Injured

THE TALE OF DESTRUCTION AND WOE

Never in the history of Ohio county has such destruction of life and property occurred as was witnessed last Thursday night. As early as 5 o'clock in the afternoon the atmosphere became oppressive, foreboding a terrible visitation from the elements. Just as darkness was beginning to come over the earth, a long line of black and angry clouds was seen looming up in the northern and western sky from which the glare of angry lightning flashed its lurid gleam. About 7:30 the first dashes of the storm was felt in this vicinity, and soon the heavens were one blaze of light and lightning. Deep rolling thunder shook the earth as though trembling from an earthquake. The winds blew in strong and fitful gusts shaking houses and now and then breaking trees and felling fences. All over the county, such phenomina (sic) were visable (sic). But a narrow strip probably three quarters of a mile wide from one side of the county to the other, was doomed to the destructive effects of a tornado terrible in its power. In the path of this tornado, the sky was black as erebus save when it was lit by the flashing gleams of angry lightning. Terror seized many of the people subjected to its mad winds and dashing rains, while other bravely sought to protect life and properly. From eye witnesses and from messengers sent to the afflicted districts, the Herald obtained the following detailed account:

The tornado crossed Green river about midway between Point Pleasant and Smallhouse, giving a farewell touch to McLean county by tearing down the dwelling of Thomas Bishop, who lived just across the river and in the track of the cyclone. The first house struck in the county, was James Bullocks. Following the line of the tornado through the county, we find almost nothing left standing. Large trees were broken like small weeds, fencing was blown down, or chards totally destroyed, and in many places the very earth was torn up by the fury of the winds. It is wonderful that amid all the loss of property so few lives were lost.

Beginning with the western limit of the county and following the storm, we find this summarized statement of casualties:

James Bullocks - Dwelling, stables and all outbuildings blown down. A child was blown some distance into shallow back-water, was recued.
Jim Ben Brown - Dwelling torn to pieces, barns and other buildings destroyed. Blew one of his boys over two hundred yards from the house. After the fury of the storm had passed the boy got back to the house, being only slightly hurt.
W. L. Brown - House unroofed and badly damaged) outbuildings injured but not destroyed.
Henry Iglehart - House blown down to the floor and left the family unhurt. Outbuildings totally destroyed. Pieces of plank blown over a mile and a half. Mr. lglehart slightly injured.
Sam Bilbro - Fared pretty much the same fate as Henry Iglehart. House and outbuildings  destroyed. Pieces of shingles being blown over two miles.
T. B. Iglehart - House down and outbuildings demolished.
J. P. Tichenor - Tobacco barn, containing a large crop of tobacco hanging on the stick, blown down, and tobacco destroyed. Meat house destroyed, stables blown down.
Wing James - Dwelling unroofed and twisted. Barns, stables and cribs blown down. Wheat scattered all over the place.
Widow Everly - Farm touched on one side. Barn damaged and trees uprooted.
Jacob C. Bennett - Here the tornado crossed the Centertown and Point Pleasant Road. Dwelling unroofed, part of the house moved off its foundation. Mr. Bennett had built a fine, large grain and stock barn a year or so ago, this was blown down. In it were horses, cattle, hay, corn, oats, tobacco. Strange, as in many other such instances, nothing was hurt A new 700 pound wagon standing in the lot was lifted over a high fence and carried 80 yards or more, breaking two wheels and an axle. Stock barn on adjoining farm destroyed. This is one place where the storm was particularly severe. Rails, planks, boards were scattered all over the place.
Wood Stearsman - Dwelling blown down.
George Stearsman - House blown down and burned. Family ran to a neighbor's during the hardest of the storm.
Tom Boyd - House damaged.
W. T. Bennett - Barn and stables destroyed. A fine young mule killed. One horse was covered ten feet under a pile of hay, but was taken out alive and not much hurt.
W. J. Ross - House unroofed, stables injured. Barn full of tobacco a total wreck,
W. H. Williams - Smoke house down. Small dwelling on the place destroyed.
Clayton Stevens - House blown literally into splinters. Bedding and clothing scattered all over the farm. The escape of the family alive was almost miraculous.

On both sides of the tornado's track several suffered from the effects of the wind, having many out-buildings blown down or injured, orchards uprooted and fences leveled to the ground.

Here the tornado crossed the river.

The first house in its path was:
Dock Ward's - House blown down. Family had moved out on account high water.
Joe Condit Barnett - All outbuildings blown down.
Will Delaney - Top story of house blown away, Three large outbuildings blown down.
John Sam Bennett - Outbuildings partially destroyed and orchard destroyed.
Dr. I. Foster - Barn partially destroyed.
No Creek Churches - The M. E. Church was moved from its foundation about eight feet, twisted so as to loosen the upper plates, plastering fell off, rendering the house practically useless. The M. E. Church South was lifted from its foundation and blown into a thousand pieces. The grove of beautiful trees near the churches was totally destroyed. The school house at this place was a total loss.
John Ward – House moved off its foundation. Large stock barn and other buildings destroyed.
James Ward – Chimney blown down. Door of the dwelling blew open, striking Miss Ophelia Ward - knocking her backward. She was not seriously injured.
John F. Wallace - Top story of house, kitchen, dining room and porches blown away. Barns and all outbuildings razed to the ground. Killed one cow and calf. Farming Implements badly damaged. A fine new buggy blown a hundred yards and shivered into kindling wood. The storm was particularly severe at this point. The divisions which were made at the creek, joined at Mr. Wallace’s and left almost nothing standing on his place. That no one was killed is due to the fact all the family was downstairs.
William Edwards - Top story of house and cook room blown away. Large barn containing stock blown down.
Joe Jeff Bennett - Upper story of dwelling gone; outbuildings destroyed. An apple tree standing about 30 feet from the house was torn from the earth and carried over and beyond the house, a distance of 200 yards. Loss comes heavily on this venerable citizen, he having twice lost his house by fire.
Baylis Davis – Outbuildings destroyed.
William Milligan - Stock barn destroyed.
Alexander School House - Was lifted from its foundations and moved about 8 feet.
The Bridge Across No Creek on the Hartford and Owensboro road was blown down to the floor leaving the bridge so as to be passed over.
R. A. Anderson - Tobacco barn blown down. Tobacco bulked, but injured some.
A. C. Ellis - Barn partly unroofed, porch blown away. Hay stacks overturned.
Sam L. Baird - Two large barns down. A hay and feed barn fell on stock-only one cow killed.
James Baird - Upper story of house gone. House badly sacked. Beds and clothing blown a hundred yards or more from the house. During the storm, Mr. and Mrs. Baird ran from home to Mr. S. L. Baird's amid great personal danger.
Tom Webb - Crib and part of stable blown away. Two barns partially unroofed. 80 acres fine timber a total loss.
Fletcher Ward - Tobacco barn and corn crib unroofed.
John W. Stevens - Meat house and crib down. Roof off stable, small outbuildings destroyed.
Widow Wesley Stevens – Two barns, meat house, granary, tobacco barns down. Kitchen unroofed.
Wood Tinsley – House blown down level with the upper floor. Every other building on the place razed to the ground. The escape of the family from death seems miraculous, but not one was hurt, except a little girl, and she seriously. Chickens and geese almost all killed.
G. B. Hocker Farm - Barn blown away.
I. K. Westerfield - Dwelling down. Outbuildings destroyed.
Mrs. Fannie Taylor - House blown down, Mrs. Taylor received a scalp wound from a falling timber. Her little girl lying in bed was covered by falling timbers, doing her serious injury. Two young men living with Mrs. Taylor were slightly bruised.

The tornado here crossed the creek again.

At Mr. F. W. Pirtle's, the wind did considerable damage. In the creek near Mr. Pirtle's, was John Thomas of Hartford in a fishing boat. His description of the storm as it tore across the creek above and around him is thrilling. The waves rolled against his boat, but did not rock John to sleep. After the fury of the storm had passed it was many moments before John could content himself to sleep. He was back in Hartford betimes next morning, but did not know then of the great damage done by the tornado.

From Doc Ward’s to the Iron Mountain

As related by our correspondent who went over the ground:

I will give you an outline of the destruction of the cyclone as I have seen it from John B. Ward's to Mrs. John Taylor's. I hear it crossed the creek about Doc Ward, destroying his house and outbuildings, also the outbuildings on the Widow Stevens' land. John B. Ward's and Wm. Delaney's barns destroyed, and Delaney's dwelling damaged. John S. Bennett's outbuildings injured. M. E. Church, South, completely destroyed. M. E. Church, North, removed from foundation and badly deranged. All of John Wallace's outbuildings a complete wreck, also a part of his dwelling, all of it greatly damaged, and a cow killed and a calf wounded. Wm. Edwards and Joe Jeff Bennett left without a building of any kind and without shelter. Ballis Davis lost two barns. Dick Ward's barns on the Baird farm destroyed, containing a crop of tobacco. Alexander school house removed from foundation and badly damaged. A. C. Ellis' barn unroofed and badly damaged, porch and meat house damaged. S. L. Baird's barns on the Stevens farm completely destroyed, also house on same in which Jas. Baird was living. One cow and some hogs killed. His barns had a quantity of hay, corn and oats in them and his machinery. R. A. Anderson's tobacco barn, containing a part of his crop, destroyed - stables damaged. J. F. T. Ward's tobacco barn unroofed, containing two crops of tobacco, stables and corn crib unroofed. T. E. Webb's tobacco barn unroofed, also stables and corn crib. John Stevens' barn and meat house blown down and stables unroofed. The barn, stables and kitchen on the old Wesley Stevens farm blown down. Barns on the G. B. Hocker farm unroofed. Wood Tinsley's dwelling unroofed and barn blown down. Knox Westerfield’s dwelling and outbuildings blown down. Mrs. John Taylor's dwelling and all outbuildings all blown down, and Mrs. Taylor and child slightly injured. In addition to the above the barn on Wm. Milligan’s farm down, also bridge across No Creek. Add to this the complete destruction of all timber, fencing, orchard, household effects damaged by the rain, the homeless condition of seven families, to say nothing of the frightened condition of the people along this line, and you have a brief history of the worst effects of the cyclone of about three-fourths of a mile in width. A great deal of fencing and some timber were blown down outside of this line.

From the Iron Mountain to Barrett’s Ferry.

Where the tornado passed through the forests in Rough Creek bottoms it looked as though the timber had been flattened by enormous rollers. The first house struck after crossing the creek at the Iron Mountains, was:
Mrs. M. A. Coombs - Dwelling injured. Kitchen and dining room blown down. Stock barn and smaller out building destroyed.
Madison Duke - Outbuildings destroyed.
John Taylor Lowe - House down, part of floor blown away, family unhurt. All outbuildings down.
Pig Wimsatt - One room of dwelling blown down, remainder of house unroofed. Stock barn destroyed. New wagon blown to atoms.
Dave Duke - Outbuildings blown down. '
T. D. Duke - Dwelling unroofed. Stock barn leveled to the ground.
I. N. Duke - Stables blown down.
George Hines – Stable unroofed.
John Russell -. Large double log dwelling blown down.
John Tucker - Dwelling down.
Luke Hunt - House blown down.
Basil Acton - Dwelling unroofed.
Jake Hooberry - Dwelling blown down.

A SCENE OF DEATH

The storm struck the residence of Isaac Gidcomb on the old Collin's farm. The stone chimney was blown against the house. The weight of the chimney caused the house to give away and fell with a crash to the lower floor. Mrs. Gidcomb was buried under the debris, but was saved from the fall of the upper floor by an old fashioned upright loom. John Gidcomb, a son 23 yean old, and Minnie Gidcomb, 16 years old, were both killed outright. Two more of the children, both girls, each a leg broken, while two other children were injured slightly. R. N. Fitzhugh and Kin Blanton, who visiting the family, sustained painful though not serious injuries. Mr. I. Gidcomb was not at home, having gone to Evansville on a raft.

John Tucker - House blown down.
Mrs. Lotta Ambrose - Dwelling down. Two barns destroyed.
Elvin Elmore – House and barn blown down.
E. C. Renfrow – Stock barn down.
Jeff Cole – Barn and orchard destroyed.
Sulphur Springs – Dancing hall and ten-pin alley destroyed by falling timber. Five negroes were in a small house near the springs when the house was overturned by the winds. None of the negroes were hurt.
Pardon Tabor - Fine timber destroyed.
Jim Tom Moore - Stable and crib unroofed,
J. T. Shultz - Fine new barn destroyed. Barn had been finished only two days.
Leonard Bunger - Tobacco barn blown down.  Tobacco hanging in barn greatly injured.
N. P. Boswell - Outbuildings and fine orchard destroyed.
Thomas Barrett - Heavy losses in timber destroyed.

The tornado crossed the creek at Barrett's Ferry

Striking Ed Davidson's farm beyond the Ferry, blowing down large stock barn, and ploughed its destructive course along the lowland snapping giant oaks as though they were mere weeds before the wind.
Pink Fentress - House and outbuildings destroyed.
George Fentress - Dwelling down.

On went the mad winds crossing the creek at almost every bend doing great damage to timber. The Herald’s special reporter could not get reliable information from beyond the creek above this point on account of high waters. It is thought by those who witnessed the storm in this section that the track of cyclone followed along the line of the creek for a considerable distance.

Three miles south-east of Fall’s of Rough Mrs. H. T. Edwards was killed outright and a small child fatally injured. Mrs. Edwards was the widow of H. T. Edwards, who was drowned at Spottsville two weeks ago by a raft overturning.

IT DIVIDES

Just above Sulphur Springs a whirl of tornado branches out toward the East doing much damage.

Sam Christian living two miles North of Horse Branch, lost a fine barn by the wind, while his son's dwelling was blown to the ground.

SHILOH CHURCH, GRAYSON COUNTY

Cul Daniel - House and barn wrecked,
Sim Peyton - Dwelling gone. Meat house blown down and meat scattered through the woods.
William Bean - House blown down and burned. No one was at home at the time, and on coming home Friday morning, found their home in ashes.
John Duncan - House and barn down.
James Burkley - House blown down. Barn unroofed,

NOTES

The large flouring mill at Rosine was unroofed.
Rough creek is steadily falling at the mouth of Caney creek.
The destruction of chickens, ducks and geese was phenomenal.
Several of our citizens visited the ruins of the cyclone yesterday.
The cyclone's path, on an average, was about three-quarters of a mile wide.
The preservation of life and the destruction of so much property, was wonderful.
The wind was heavy all over the county, blowing down much fencing and timber.
People living near the cyclone suffered much damage by having fencing blown down.
Several were fortunate enough to have their property insured against cyclones and storms.
Several of those damaged most by the tornado can not raise a crop unless they have sorne assistance.
The now tobacco barn belonging to John O. Riley, about two miles east of Hartford, was blown down.
Many people who were rendered houseless and homeless were up all night, caring for what little was left them.
The noise of the storm in the distance - the awful surging roar, the crackling, grinding debris - was simply appalling.
The direction of the storm was well marked, being nearly due north-east, at times dividing and then coming together again.
Neighbors who were not damaged are nobly helping those who were, giving the homeless shelter and administering to their wants.
Such destruction of property is particularly hard on the farmer at this season of the year, when he would ordinarily be planting his crop.
All the timber in the path of the cyclone was felled flat to the earth. Persons can stand in the track in some places and see for miles ahead.

Yesterday, Sunday as it was, was a busy day in the storm stricken territory. The people were putting up fencing and repairing broken dwellings.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

THE HISTORY OF TORNADOES IN OHIO COUNTY (Part 1 of 3)

THE HISTORY OF TORNADOES IN OHIO COUNTY

According to US Weather Service records, the worst tornado to hit Ohio County was in 1890.  At that time this F4 storm was commonly called a cyclone. Its’ path is shown in orange on the map below. Note: The color coding shows the strength of the tornado, i. e. F1 as blue; F2 as green; F3 as yellow; and the worst, F4, as orange.


March 27, 1890
Counties:  Ohio, Grayson, Breckinridge, Hardin
F-scale:  F4 (orange on map)
Deaths:  7
Injuries:  40
Path width:  1200 yards
Path length:  60 miles (probably a family of tornadoes)
Time:  8:00pm

Narrative:  Moved east-northeast from seven miles northwest of Hartford.  Many miles of forest were leveled, and small farm communities were wiped out.  Homes were said to have "vanished" near Sulphur Springs (where two people were killed) and near Falls of Rough (where three people were killed).  The last damage was near Rineyville, where two people were killed in one home.

Other tornadoes, as shown on the above map :

February 7, 1904
Counties:  Ohio
F-scale:  F2 (green on map)
Deaths:
Injuries: 
Path width:
Path length:  5 miles
Time:  3:45am

Narrative:  Moved east-northeast from Dundee to Narrows.  Thirty homes and six businesses were destroyed at Narrows (virtually the entire village).  Twelve more homes were destroyed at Dundee.

December 4, 1916
Counties:  Ohio
F-scale:  F2 (green on map)
Deaths:  0
Injuries:  0
Path width:   100 yards
Path length:  10 miles
Time:  3:30pm

Narrative:  Moved east-northeast seven miles north of Hartford.  This tornado "bounced like a rubber ball" and destroyed several homes.

May 2, 1954
Counties:  Ohio
F-scale:  F1 (blue on map)
Deaths:
Injuries: 
Path width:  25 yards
Path length:
Time:  Noon

Noted discrepancies:  SPC gives a path width of 10 yards, NCDC gives 30 yards, Storm Data says 25 yards.

May 7, 1961
Counties:  Ohio, Grayson (from Hopkins and Muhlenberg)
F-scale:  F3 (yellow on map)
Deaths:
Injuries:
Path width:
Path length:
Time:  9:25am

Grazulis narrative:  Skipped east-northeast from Madisonville to Bremen, Moorman, and on to Beaver Dam.  The Moorman High School gym was unroofed and a small home fell over.

Noted discrepancies:  SPC and NCDC rank this as an F3, Grazulis gives it an F2.  Grazulis does not include Grayson County.  SPC, Storm Data, and NCDC give a time of 9:25am, Grazulis give 8:15am.  SPC and NCDC give a path length of 58 miles, Grazulis give 35 miles (skipping), Storm Data gives 60 miles.  SPC and NCDC give a path width of 880 yards, Storm Data says 1320 yards, Grazulis says 200 yards.  This tornado is very oddly listed at the NCDC website.  NCDC lists Hopkins County at 9:25am, then two entries for Muhlenberg County (one at 9:36am and the other at 9:41am), then two entries for Ohio County (one at 9:48am and the other at 9:56am), then one entry for Grayson County (at 10:17am).  All entries have identical f-scale and path widths values.  Storm Data begins the tornado in McLean County, and thereafter agrees with SPC.  The NCDC end lat/lon of the first Muhlenberg tornado is the same as the NCDC begin lat/lon of the second.  Similarly, the NCDC end lat/lon of the first Ohio tornado is the same as the NCDC begin lat/lon of the second.  All lat/lons are roughly in alignment with each other and with the Grayson County lat/lons.  Will plot a single tornado as close to the given lat/lons as possible.  In the LMK CWFA, only Centertown and Beaver Dam (both Ohio County) are mentioned in the Storm Data narrative.  More research would be nice, especially to determine if this tornado did continue into Grayson County or not.

August 13, 1966
Counties:  Ohio
F-scale:   F2 (green on map)
Deaths:  
Injuries:
Path width:
Path length:
Time:  5:25pm

Noted discrepancies:  SPC/NCDC call this an F2...Grazulis does not list it.

Notes:  Storm Data says this tornado touched down one and a half miles northeast of Hartford and moved northeast for a mile and a half.

November 19, 1970
Counties:  Ohio
F-scale:  F2 (green on map)
Deaths:  0
Injuries:  18
Path width:  600 yards
Path length:  37 miles (skipping)
Time:  10:25pm

Notes:  This tornado likely touched down in eastern Muhlenberg County and traveled roughly northward through western Ohio County, including the Echols, Rockport, and Hartford areas, and into far eastern Daviess County around Whitesburg.  In the Rockport and Echols area the tornado was up to a quarter mile wide.  It destroyed a dozen houses and half a dozen mobile homes, damaged 40 other houses and several barns to some degree, and injured eleven people.  In Hartford two children were hospitalized when their trailer was overturned.  The tornado did its worst in Whitesville in Daviess County, damaging much of the town.

Noted discrepancies:  SPC lists Ohio and Daviess counties...NCDC lists only Ohio County...Grazulis lists Muhlenberg and Ohio counties.  SPC/NCDC lat/lon list this tornado as touching down in Daviess County, and provide no liftoff lat/lon.  Grazulis has the tornado starting in Muhlenberg County east of Greenville and he lifts it at Hartford in Ohio County (nowhere near the SPC/NCDC lat/lon).  SPC and NCDC list no injuries, Grazulis and Storm Data list 18.  SPC gives a path length of 1/10 of a mile (obviously wrong), NCDC gives nothing, and Grazulis gives 20 miles.  SPC gives a path width of 10 yards, NCDC and Grazulis give nothing.  Storm Data mentions tornado-like damage at Whitesville in Daviess County.

April 27, 1971
Counties:  Ohio (from McLean and Hopkins)
F-scale:  F1 (blue on map)
Deaths:
Injuries:
Path width:
Path length:  34 miles
Time:  5:45pm

Noted discrepancies:  Only Hopkins County is listed at NCDC.  SPC gives a path width of 10 yards, NCDC give 30 yards.  SPC and NCDC agree on a path length of 36 miles, suggesting the tornado must have continued beyond Hopkins County.  Storm Data lists a path length of 34 miles.  The SPC/NCDC liftoff lat/lon is in Oho County but makes no sense for a tornado coming from Hopkins and McLean counties, especially without passing through Muhlenberg County.  Interestingly, though, SvrPlot gives a very realistic plot for this tornado.  Storm Data says the tornado touched down near Slaughters in Hopkins County, proceeded to Sacramento in McLean County, and then went on to Prentiss in Ohio County.

Notes:  Will use the Storm Data description.

April 27, 1971
Counties:  Ohio, Butler
F-scale:  F3 (yellow on map)
Deaths:
Injuries:
Path width:
Path length:  11 miles
Time:  6:10pm CST

Notes:  There is considerable disagreement among data sources regarding the end point of this tornado (despite excellent agreement on the touchdown point).  After further research, it has been decided that this tornado touched down west of Cool Springs and north of Wysox in Ohio County.  It proceeded to the east-southeast through Little Bend (near Mining City) and into Butler County.  This project will end the tornado about two miles into Butler County.  Damage was found as far east as the Reedyville and Roundhill areas along the Butler County/Edmonson County line, however these locations are not really in line with the earlier known tornado locations, and also there have been no damage reports found between the end point described above and these two locations.  Damage in Roundhill and Reedyville may have been from straight-line winds or a separate small tornado.  At this tornado's touchdown point in Ohio County a witness said it "swerved" as it approached his house, just grazing the home but destroying the garage and a nearby barn.   Multiple vortices may have been visible.  The tornado was witnessed at Little Bend and was described as being about 17 yards wide while moving at about 40mph (and accompanied by large hail).   In this area a barn was destroyed and roof shingles were found embedded two inches deep into an oak tree.  Will not disagree with the official strength ranking of F3, but it sounds like this tornado was a minimal F3 at best.

Noted discrepancies:  SPC and NCDC rank this as an F3, Grazulis call it an F2.  SPC and NCDC list a path width of 20 yards, Grazulis says 50 yards, Storm Data 14 yards.

April 28, 2002
Counties:  Ohio
F-scale:  F1 (blue on map)
Deaths:
Injuries:
Path width:
Path length:
Time:  2:40am

Noted discrepancies:  SPC lists a path width of 30 yards...NCDC and Storm Data say 100 yards.

Notes:  Storm Data takes this tornado from five miles west of Centertown, on Shrull Lane, to Hartford.


Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Susannah Caroline (Acton) Mitchell

Susannah Caroline (Acton) Mitchell

April 8, 1826 – September 8, 1878

of Charles County, MD and Ohio County, KY

Wife of Joseph Martin “Mart” Mitchell

Susannah Caroline Acton was born in the spring time, April 8, 1826, at Port Tobacco, the first county seat of Charles County, Maryland.  She was the first and oldest of nine children born to her parents, Bartemus Acton and Sarah Ann “Sallie” (Robey).  Susannah’s brother and sister, Mary Jane and Thomas Washington, were also born in Maryland. 

Sometime after the 1830 census was taken in Port Tobacco, when Susannah was about four, her parents migrated from Maryland with their three small children and moved to Ohio County, Kentucky, a distance of about 700 miles.  Upon arrival, they settled on a farm near Hall’s Creek, a branch of Rough Creek, where a deed shows that Bartemus purchased an unspecified number of acres of land on February 26, 1831 from Absalom Albin and his wife, Piety, for $280.00.

On August 24, 1843, when she was seventeen, Susannah married Joseph Martin Mitchell, son of Robert Mitchell and Judith Benson who moved to Ohio County in 1825, formerly of Shelby County, Kentucky.  Joseph Martin Mitchell, called “Mart,” was born March 19, 1822 in Shelby County. 

Over the next twenty years – 1844 to 1864 – Susannah had nine children of which seven grew to maturity.  The Mitchells were hardworking people and expected their children to do likewise.  For Susannah, chores centered on raising her children and keeping them healthy, cooking for her household, sewing and mending, working in the family garden, and tending the farm yard.

It is reported that Mart Mitchell was a farmer and a stone mason, a person who cuts and shapes native stone into various shapes for building chimneys, flues, doorsteps, walkways and fences.  Mart and his son, Joseph shaped the rocks and built one of the abutments to the bridge at Barrett's Ferry on Rough River in 1892.  That bridge was eventually replaced by a concrete bridge, but the stones of the old bridge abutments still remain in place to this day.

Joseph and Susannah lived on Cane Run between Olaton and New Baymus Church of Christ near Barrett's Ferry, about two miles from Dundee (formerly called Hines Mill) and Sulphur Springs.   In the 1860 census the couple was living in the Briggs Mill area of the Caney District of Ohio County, Kentucky. 

Susannah was 52 when she died Sep 8, 1878.  Joseph Martin Mitchell was said to have married twice after her death, first to Mary Hushon Bishop on May 21, 1881, and second to Mattie Wickliffe, Oct 18, 1892, both of whom he outlived.  He died Nov 27, 1904 at age 82.  Joseph and Susannah are said to be buried at McCord Cemetery on Hall’s Creek Road, not far from Rosine.   They had nine children, all born Ohio County.

1)      Mary Elizabeth Mitchell (my ancestor) – Born June 1, 1844; married  1st James William Cox on Aug 4, 1860 and they had 14 children – all born in Ohio County; she died Feb 7, 1903, in Obion County, TN.  He died Sep 30, 1931, Ohio County.

2)      Ellen Boatman Mitchell – Born Dec 15, 1845; married 1st George W. Ezell on Oct 17, 1860; she died May 29, 1890, Ohio County. 

3)      Anthony T. Mitchell – Born Mar 11, 1847; died July 19, 1847, Ohio County.

4)      Sarah Ann “Sallie” Mitchell - Born Apr 15, 1849; married 1st William Neighbors on Jan 15, 1867; died Nov 2, 1939, Ohio County.

5)      Corella Evelyn Mitchell – Born Oct 5, 1850; married Robert H. Daniel on Nov 5, 1870; died Oct 26, 1939, Ohio County.

6)      Martha Benson Mitchell – Born Aug 15, 1852; married Calvin W. Daniel on Mar 14, 1870; died Jan 4, 1897, Ohio County.

7)      Robert B. Mitchell – Born Aug 10, 1855; died Aug 21, 1855, Ohio County.

8)      Joseph Gabriel Mitchell – Born Sep 25, 1858; married 1st Henrietta A. Hurt on Sep 3, 1878; died Apr 29, 1912, Ohio County.

9)      Allison Pierce Mitchell – Born Dec 11, 1864; married 1st Viola V. Mills Jun 21, 1887, Ohio Co.; died May 12, 1950, Ellis County, Texas.

Sulphur Springs - Editor:

       The Hartford Herald, September 12, 1878

Mrs. Mart Mitchell dropped from her chair on the 8th instant, and expired before her husband who was in the same room, could reach her.

       The Hartford Herald, September 18, 1878

Mrs. J. Martin Mitchell, living near Barrett’s Ferry, this county, died  very suddenly last Sunday evening week.  She had been in declining health for several months, but was not thought to be in any danger at the time of her death.

Mrs. Mitchell was an exemplary lady, an excellent neighbor, a devoted wife and a loving affectionate mother.    The deceased was a daughter of Bartemus Acton,  deceased, and  sister to Mrs. G. J. Bean, of this place.
  
                                                                                            ~ by Janice Cox Brown
                                                                                                          Tyler, TX
                                                                                            
Sources
·         Ohio Co., Kentucky Marriage and Death Certificates
·         Ohio Co. KY Census Records (various years) and Deed Records
·         Family records of Hoyt Wilson; Sue (Acton) Gregory; Terry Acton; Glenda Potts Thacker; and David Arthur Myers
·         Family records researched in 1973 by Gladys Altman for Janice Brown, shared by Mrs. Alpha Smith, Narrows, KY;  Bessie K. Rowe, Louisville; and Loretta (Crowder) Westerfield, Rosine.