Saturday, May 31, 2014

African American Schools

African American Schools in Ohio County, KY

In 1878, there was a bill in the Kentucky Senate to authorize the building of a colored school in District 1 of Ohio County [source: Journal of the Regular Session of the Senate of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, December 1877, p.764]. The bill was said to have passed due to the Democrat vote, according to the article "Colored voters remember..." in the Hartford Herald, 08/01/1877, p.2. The school teacher at the Hartford Colored School in 1880 was Joe C. H. Taylor and the school year began in September [source: Hartford Herald, "The colored school...," 09/01/1880, p.3]. Prof. McDowell from Bowling Green, KY was the teacher at the Hayti Colored School [source: "Prof. McDowell...," Hartford Herald, 09/10/1884, p.3]. In 1886 there were 11 colored schools in Ohio County, according to the Kentucky Superintendent Report, and by 1899 there (were) 8 school districts reported in the article "Statistics" in the Hartford Republican, 06/02/1899, p.3.

In 1892, there was an investigation by the Hartford Herald on behalf of the colored schools and the colored teachers who had not received their pay. The newspaper reviewed the bookkeeping of the Ohio County school superintendent and determined the colored teachers were owed their pay [source: "In case a suit is brought..." and "Cowering beneath the Herald's revelations" both in the Hartford Herald, 10/26/1892, p.2] The debate about the disposition of the colored school fund became a political disagreement between the Democrats and Republicans as to which had done more for the Negro.

Other schools in Ohio County included Rockport Colored School in District 9 with P. A. Gary as the teacher [source: "Report," Hartford Republican, 11/17/1893, p.4]. The Sulphur Springs Colored School teacher was Samantha Bracken during the 1893-94 school year [source: "Program," Hartford Republican, 01/19/1894, p.2]. There was a colored school in McHenry as early as 1894 when Miss Charlotte Eidson was the teacher [source: "McHenry Colored School," Hartford Republican, 01/19/1894, p.1]. L. W. Smith was the McHenry school teacher in 1904 [source: "The Guess candle," Hartford Herald, 01/20/1904, p.3].

In 1940, the Negro teachers in Ohio County were Delois Eidson, Kenneth Eidson, William C. Jackson, Mittie K. Render, and Ethel Tichenor [source: U.S. Federal Census].

The first schools to be listed as integrated were  Beaver Dam Elementary and High School; Hartford Elementary and High School; and Wayland Alexander School, all on p.147 of the Kentucky School Directory, 1962-63.

Names of known African American Schools in Ohio County:

Bruce School
Hayti School
Hartford School
McHenry School
Rockport School

Sulphur Springs School

Wednesday, May 28, 2014



County Judge Herbert L. Ashby is the most illustrious living member of a family identified with Kentucky since the days of the Revolutionary War and specifically with Ohio County for more than one hundred years. Farmer and judge, he follows other members of the family who have tilled the soil and held public office simultaneously and, like them, he obtained his education, figuratively if not literally, like another celebrated native of the State, Abraham Lincoln, by the light of a fire from the family hearth. Dividing his time between the farm near  Rockport and Hartford, the seat of Ohio County, he has found time to take a leading place in civic and political affairs and other community activities, to serve as a member of the Ohio County Fiscal Court and to wage a long and successful fight for the improvement of the County’s roads. He has thus contributed immeasurably to the welfare and prosperity of all farmers and the entire rural area of the County as well as to the development of its cities and towns, Hartford not least of all. That he has won the gratitude of all the people there is attested by the high esteem in which he is held everywhere among them. Herbert L. Ashby was born on the farm he operates today, the farm on which his mother was born, near Rockport, on August 31, 1885. His father was William Thomas Ashby, born in the same County in 1840, who died in 1901. William Thomas Ashby, descended from Ashbys — among whom a Jesse Ashby figured prominently in virtually every generation — who served in most of the nation’s major wars, including the Revolutionary, and the War Between the States, was a farmer and mill owner. He came of a family which followed, though at a much later date, Boone into Kentucky from Virginia, Ashbys who came in a group of brothers with their wives, children and belongings and fought for their migration and safety with the Indians; one of the brothers was killed by the Redskins on the High River. One of the Jesse Ashbys who had played his part in pre-Revolutionary and Revolutionary history incurred the gratitude of Governor Benjamin Harrison of Virginia and the people of that Colony and State and was rewarded with 400 acres of Virginia land. Other members of the family later owned for years several thousand acres of Kentucky land. Herbert L. Ashby’s mother was Sally Mary Tichenor of the large and prominent Tichenor family. Four years after the farm
near Rockport was purchased in 1836, she was born there (1840) and lived there until her death in 1912 — in all seventy-two years. In 1851, she saw this farm increased by a sizeable addition of land purchased by her father. It is this larger farm which her son, the County Judge, operates today. There were nine children in the family.

Herbert L. Ashby went to school in his native Ohio County, but he had long before begun the self-education at home which he has continued all his life. From his earliest days, he worked with his father on the farm, never really interrupting this career.

In 1925, he was elected to the first of three terms as a member of the Ohio County Fiscal Court, serving with increasing distinction. In 1937, he again fully gave his attention to the farm, but in 1941, he was called back to public office, by being elected County Judge. He has thus served in two public offices in a County where his maternal grandfather, one of his predecessors in the ownership of the farm —Byron Tichenor — once served as the County’s first constable. When he was elected to the judgeship in 1941, Judge Ashby headed the ticket of all candidates, coming into office with a majority of 982. He is a Republican and a member of the Baptist Church. Judge Ashby has remained a bachelor throughout his useful career. Of the living members of his immediate family, C. W. Ashby, a brother, lives in Los Angeles, California; a sister, Verda Ashby, lives with him on the farm; another brother, Clarence M. Ashby, makes his home in New Castle, Indiana, and still another brother, Charles R. Ashby, resides in Detroit, Michigan. A fourth brother, Lewis Ashby, died in Leftbridge, Alberta, Canada, where he had been in business for many years, in 1932. Maggie Ashby, who married Nat Lindley, lives on a farm in Ohio County, Kentucky; Mary became Mrs. S. J. Tichenor, and lives in Detroit, Michigan, and Geneva Ashby married E. A. Smith and resides at Red Bay, Alabama.

Judge Ashby grows continually in the esteem of his fellow citizens, for as farmer, fighter for good roads and other public improvements and as dispenser of justice, his personality is felt throughout the area he serves. The area grows with him.

Source: A Sesqui-Centennial History of Kentucky; by Frederick A. Wallis. Published 1945.

Monday, May 26, 2014



Among those who have been contributing to the nation’s war efforts on the home front is Dr. Oscar Allen of McHenry and Beaver Dam, Ohio County, Kentucky. Instead of curtailing his professional efforts during these critical years, Dr. Allen has increased his efforts even though his length of years in active practice would entitle him to a well-earned retirement. When several of the physicians in Ohio County entered the services, Dr. Allen moved his office from McHenry to Beaver Dam where he would be more accessible and has since made Beaver Dam the focal point of his professional activities.

Dr. Allen was born at Round Hill, Butler County, Kentucky, on April 5, 1882. His parents were C. Y. Allen, who was a native of Ohio County and a farmer, and Mary Elizabeth Colburn, who was a native of Butler County. Mrs. C. Y. Allen’s father came to Kentucky from Connecticut and was killed during the War Between the States.

Oscar Allen spent his boyhood days in Butler County where as a farm boy he attended the rural schools and later went to school in Morgantown. After completing the courses of study offered by the schools in his community, he took an examination for a teacher’s certificate and being successful, taught school in the fall and continued to attend school in the winter until he had completed his education. He entered the medical college of Kentucky University, which was then a department of Transylvania University and was located in the city of Louisville. He graduated from this institution on June 30, 1905, receiving his M.D. degree. It was not until March 1906 that the young Dr. Allen began his practice. At that time he located at Cromwell, Ohio County, Kentucky, and there started his active life as a country doctor. That was almost forty years ago. In 1922, Dr. Allen moved to McHenry, Kentucky, where he entered into a partnership with Dr. Willard Lake. This partnership has continued throughout the years, even though Dr. Lake has been an officer in the Medical Corps of the United States Army during the years of World War II. In 1940, Dr. Allen established his office on the main street of Beaver Dam but has continued his residence in McHenry. Dr. Allen has not allowed time or the discoveries of science to relegate him to the rear but has kept well abreast of the times by extensive post graduate courses from time to time. In 1920, he took a post graduate course at the Chicago Postgraduate Medical School and in 1927 he was again a student, this time at Columbia University where he took post graduate work in general medicine and laboratory. Other post graduate courses include one at the University of Louisville. His post graduate work also includes extensive study in surgery.

Dr. Allen is a complimentary member on the staff of the Owensboro-Davies County Hospital. His professional associations include the Ohio County Medical Society, the Kentucky State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. In 1907, Dr. Allen was married to Miss Vander Haynes, who was a native of Round Hill, Kentucky, and a daughter of Charles and Alice Haynes. Dr. and Mrs. Allen have become the parents of five children, the first-born of which is Ainsworth, now a resident of Bowling Green, Kentucky. Ainsworth Allen has just returned to civilian life after three years spent in the United States Army, during which time he served on the battlefields of Africa, Italy, France and Germany. He married Beulah Kane and they are the parents of two children, Billy Russell and Charles Stevens. His second marriage was to Miss Dorothy Maddox. The first daughter in the Allen family is Lucile, who married Ernest Fuller and now lives in Buffalo, New York. They have one son, Kenneth Howard. Estill Owen Allen married Miss Lois Rhoades of Daviess County and now resides in Owensboro.

Charles Lucian Allen married Miss Frances Meisel and is now a member of the United States Army stationed on the Hawaiian Islands. Margaret, the youngest child of Dr. and Mrs. Allen, married Fred Westerfield, who is a farmer in Ohio County. They are the parents of four children: David Allen, Larry Haynes, Jerry and Oscar Frederick. In former years Dr. Allen was quite active in the Masonic Order, having been advanced through the chairs to the position of Worshipful Master of his Lodge at Cromwell. Although he has retained his membership in the Lodge, he is not now active in its affairs. His political affiliations are with the Republican party and he worships at the Christian Church where the various members of his family are quite active. Dr. Allen himself was formerly very active in church work. Mrs. Allen takes an active and interested part in the affairs of the Parent-Teachers Association. Dr. Allen receives both revenue and diversion from the ownership of two farms in which he and Dr. Lake are partners.

Dr. Oscar Allen is a man of genial disposition and makes friends readily. The almost forty years that he has spent in a compact community with a radius of not more than fifteen miles is the best record that could be shown attesting his sincerity of purpose. During these years he has held the standards of his profession high and has contributed materially to his community through his citizenship therein.

Source: A Sesqui-Centennial History of Kentucky; by Frederick A. Wallis. Published 1945.

Saturday, May 24, 2014



The untimely death of Frank Barnes, president of the Beaver Dam Deposit Bank, on December 4, 1940, took from Beaver Dam and Ohio County, Kentucky, one of the men it could least afford to lose. No man in Ohio County had more friends nor was greater loved and admired than Frank Barnes. There are many who will long remember his sympathetic consideration for the debtors of the Beaver Dam Deposit Bank during the trying depression days. Many more who have benefited from his participation in religious, educational and civic affairs had cause to love him in life, and mourn him in death. Frank Barnes was only forty-seven years of age when a sudden heart attack cut short a career of honor and service in business, civic, fraternal and religious circles. He was one of the men who form the backbone of a community, and the passing of years serves only to increase the realization of the severe loss which his passing meant to the city, state and nation.

Frank Barnes was born in Beaver Dam, Kentucky, on July 17, 1893. His parents were John Hiram and Maggie (Eblen) Barnes. Frank Barnes received his early education in the Beaver Dam schools, and later attended the University of Kentucky. During World War I he served in the United States Army. After his return home, he entered banking with his father, and after the death of his father in 1934 Frank Barnes became president of the Beaver Dam Deposit Bank. His entire adult life was spent in banking, but his other business activities included presidency of the Beaver Dam Manufacturing & Supply Company, and membership in the John H. Barnes Insurance Agency. His real estate holdings were extensive, and he distinguished himself as both banker and business man. The marriage of Frank Barnes and Nora Frances Jackson, who was born in Clinton, Kentucky, on April 10, 1897, was solemnized on June 16, 1923. Two daughters, Anna Frances and Janette, were born to this union. Anna Frances was born at Beaver Dam on July 13, 1926, and her sister Janette was born on March 16, 1932. The family worships at the Beaver Dam Methodist Church, of which Mr. Barnes was long a member. Two brothers and a sister also mourned the death of Frank Barnes. Dr. Malcolm L. Barnes is house physician at the Louisville City Hospital; and the Honorable Marshall Barnes, vice-president of the bank, is a former state representative from Ohio County and assistant clerk of the House. Miss Anna Barnes lives in Beaver Dam.

Frank Barnes was always an active member of the Kentucky Bankers Association. He belonged to the Masonic Order, and was also a member of the Shrine. Mr. Barnes served his community in official capacities, both municipal and educational. He was able and efficient in all that he undertook, and could always be relied upon to help in any project which was aimed at community betterment. The great throngs which passed by his bier before the body was laid to rest in the rolling Ohio County hills whence he came paid tribute of admiration and love to a man whose personal popularity was as great as his business ability. Beside the hundreds of his fellow citizens who came to pay him homage, nearly a hundred sorrowing friends came from other locations to pay their respects to the man whose friendship had meant so much to them. There were representatives from Louisville, Lexington, Clinton, Central City, Owensboro, Greenville, Caneyville, Arlington, Decatur, Alabama; Hodgensville, Hawesville, Livermore, St. Matthews, Logansport, Hopkinsville, Madisonville, Franklin, Morgantown, Fordsville, Centertown, Dundee, Russellville, and Lewisburg, giving proof of the wide circle of friends who grieved at his passing.

The following excerpts from an article which appeared in the Hartford News aptly describes the sentiment of the entire community:

"The death of Frank Barnes was an immeasurable loss to his home city, the entire county, and the state’s financial circles. Citizen and business man of the highest type, Christian gentleman in all of life’s relationships, Mr. Barnes’ passing from a career of activity and accomplishment in the prime of life not only cast a pall of sorrow over the hearts of his loved ones, but brought sadness to the host who had the privilege of calling him 'friend.’ ”

Source: A Sesqui-Centennial History of Kentucky; by Frederick A. Wallis. Published 1945.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014



Hugh Crockett McKee, present superintendent of the Frankfort City Schools, has
given distinguished service since his election to that important office in July, 1904, having become a potent factor in all movements which tend toward the elevation of educational standards in that city. By ancestral record and present loyalty Professor McKee is a representative Kentuckian. His forefathers and their achievements will merit a passing glance.

His parents were Robert B. and Serena Dennis McKee, the former born in the old McKee homestead which was patented under the Virginia government by John McKee, the subject's grandfather. John McKee was born in Virginia and was of Scotch-Irish lineage, and his wife was a daughter of Colonel Anthony Crockett of Revolutionary fame. Professor Hugh Crockett McKee is thus a great-grandson of that celebrated American. John McKee was a farmer by vocation and was the first magistrate of his district after Kentucky became a state. He lived to be eighty-four years of age and was a widely-known and much respected man.

Robert B. McKee, father of the subject, previous to the Civil war was employed for four years in the Western River and Harbor Improvements service. He was warden of the Missouri penitentiary at Jefferson City for six years before the war and devoted the last twenty-five years of his life to teaching in the public schools. He was state examiner under Hon. Deshay Pickett, superintendent of public instruction. At the time of his demise he was seventy-six years of age. His wife, Serena Dennis (1837-1918), was a native of Ohio county, Kentucky, of Scotch – Irish descent. She bore her husband four children, of whom Professor Mckee was the third.

Hugh Crockett McKee was born on the McKee homestead in Franklin county, June 10, 1871. Upon this fair domain he was reared and came to young manhood. He received his early education in the public schools and a JJ. degree in the Kentucky Military Institute. As seen from the foregoing Professor McKee may claim his pedagogical inclinations by right of heritage. Soon after his graduation and during the time of the war between the states he was a member of the Home Guards at Newport. He was married twice, first to a Miss Krontz, who was the mother of two sons, and after her death he married Mary Collutt. 
Vol III.  Published 1912.

Friday, May 16, 2014



Rev. Samuel Slocum (Jolm C., Joseph) was born in Atlanta, Georgia, 23 November, 1783. He married, in Ohio County, Kentucky, 21 March, 1804, Mary Ann Beck, daughter of Stephen and (Wright) Beck of Fayette, Illinois, and formerly of Charleston, S. C, where she was born 24 February, 1782. They removed to Illinois Territory in the year 18 12. He was an officer in the War of 18 12, and also served in the War with Mexico. He was Postmaster at Carmi, White County, Illinois., from 1820 until 1832, and held several other offices of trust. In 1833 they removed from Carmi to Albany, Whitesides Co., Illinois., and there died she, 24 February, 1851, and was buried in Albany Cemetery; he, 29 December, 1859, and was buried in Nevitt's Cemetery. He was a farmer and a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal church.

Children :

i. John Axley, born in Ohio County, Ky., and there died.

ii. Alfred Beck, was born 6 Aug., 1806 in Hartford, Ohio County, Kentucky, and was reared in White County, Illinois, from the age of six years. He was married, 1 August, 1827, near Carmi, Illinois., by Rev. Charles Slocumb, M. E., to Elizabeth Roland Nevitt, daughter of William and Mary (Eadlin) Nevitt formerly of Georgetown, D. C, and later of Nelson County, Kentucky, where she was born 18 April, 1807. After marriage they dwelt in Concord, in Knoxville, and in or near Albany, Whitesides County, Illinois, where he died, 9 September, 1860; was buried in Nevitt's Cemetery. His widow is still living (1880). He was a hotel-keeper and grain-dealer.

iii. Elizabeth Jane, b. 27 Sept., 1808, in Ohio County, Ky. ; m. Azariah Haskinson 26 Dec, 1827; d. 17 June, 1856; was buried in Nevitt's Cemetery near Albany, Illinois. A son, Samuel W., is now a carpenter in Albany, Illinois.

iv. Catharine, born 27 September, 1810; died 7 August 1812.

v. Stephen Beck, born 20 Aug., 1813, at Slocumb's Ford, Wabash River (?), White Co., Illinois. He was married four times as follows: 1st, Feb. 14, 1839, Letitia Mariah McCall who died 3 April, 1845; 2d, Oct. 15, 1850, Caroline Matilda Rouse who died 4 March, 1859; 3d, Dec. 9, 1859, Mrs. M. E. Hanks who died 23 March, 1861 ; and 4th, Melinda Buck 11 May, 1864. He died at Albany, I11., 8 November, 1877, and was buried in Nevitt's Cemetery.

vi. Samuel Walker, b. 10 Nov., 1815; mar. Rebecca Withrow.

vii. Charles Hooks, b. 14 Nov., 1817; m. Elizabeth A. Bennett.

viii. Joseph, born 14 March, 1821; died 12 September, 1821.

ix. Susan Rebecca, twin, b. 30 Oct., 1822; d. 30 Aug., 1824.

x. William Wright, twin, born 30 Oct., 1822; mar. Margaret Stagg 22 Sept., 1847. He resides at Winona, Minnesota; is master and pilot of a Mississippi River steamboat,

xi. John Fletcher, born 21 January, 1827; died 4 September, 1839, and was buried at Albany, Illinois.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014



Although a young man, Mr. Dempsey has forged to the front as a party leader, and by his clear, concise and logical editorials has earned wide repute as a writer of vigorous English and an honorable place among the leading newspaper men of this part of the state. He was born May 31, 1874, in Ohio County, Kentucky, the son of Thomas and Elizabeth Dempsey, both parents natives of the Blue Grass state and of Irish extraction.

After receiving a preliminary training in the common schools of his native county, Dr. Dempsey became a student of Hartford College, where he was graduated with the class of 1898, following which he finished a commercial course in the Lexington Business College, and then accepted a clerical position with a law firm, his professional life dating from October, 1899. He was employed as stenographer by various law firms, later taught several terms of school and in May, 1904, embarked in journalism at Jasonville, Indiana, which calling he has since followed with most encouraging success. As already indicated, Mr. Dempsey displays distinctive ability as a newspaper man, wielding an elegant and trenchant pen, is eminently fair in discussing the leading questions and issues of the times and his influence in strengthening the local Democracy and shaping the policies of the party has been fruitful in salutary results. His career thus far has been eminently honorable and praiseworthy and the conspicuous place to which he has risen in his chosen field of endeavor may be taken as an earnest of still greater achievements and a more extended sphere of usefulness in years to come.

On the 12th day of February, 1905, Mr. Dempsey was married to Emma Stine, of Jasonville, Indiana, daughter of John and Sarah Stine, and their union has been blessed by the birth of two children, a son named Leon and a daughter who answers to the name of Olga. Mrs. Dempsey is a member of the Christian church and a lady of many estimable qualities, who moves in the best social circles of the town in which she resides. Although not identified with any church, Mr. Dempsey has profound respect for religion and morality and gives his influence and material support to all legitimate means for their advancement. His public spirit also manifests an abiding interest in the material prosperity of Jasonville and Greene County, and he takes great pride in the honorable reputation which this section of Indiana enjoys.

Source:  History of Greene County, Indiana

Note:  Mr. Dempsey died in 1941 and is buried in Lebanon Cemetery, Midland, Greene County, Indiana.

Sunday, May 11, 2014


At Pg 458

JAMES A. FLENER (FLEENER) — A veteran of twenty battles and having the distinction of being the youngest soldier to enlist in 1861, James A. Flener, of Caney township, has a secure place in the affections of the old soldier element of Montgomery county, and the high character for integrity and honesty of purpose he has maintained, since his becoming a citizen here, has also added many friends among other classes.

Mr. Flener's birth occurred in Ohio countv, Kentucky, on the 13th of February, 1846. Harrison Flener, his father, was a native of the same county, as was also his mother, Mary A. Smith. They were respected and well-to-do farmers, during a long lifetime there, and reared a large family of children, of whom ten are yet living. The father was a man of intense devotion to country, and, though past the legal age, served his country as best he could, in the militia. He died, in 1881, at the age of ninety years; the wife at eighty-three. The names of the children follow: George W., Eliza Martha Hodges, Angeline Cardwell Franklin, James A., Parydine Turner, Antha Edwards, William, Louisa Leach, Mary Stewart and John W. All of these children live in the "Blue Grass State" but the subject of this review.

A common school education was interrupted, in the case of Mr. Flener, by the great tragedy of the Civil war. He did not wait for the call of troops, but became a member of the militia at the first sign of the coming struggle, together with his father and brothers. When the call was made, he enrolled, as a member of Company "H," Seventeenth Kentucky Infantry. He was but fifteen years old, but of good size, and was, therefore, able to pass muster. He served from August, 1861, to February, 1865, and, though participating in twenty of the hard-fought battles of the war, together with numberless skirmishes, he came out with a whole skin. His twenty battles were: Bare's Ferry, Morgantown Hill, Ft. Henry, Ft. Donelson, Shiloh, Siege of Corinth, Perryville, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Dalton, Resaea, Altoona, Kennesaw Mt., Peachtree Creek, Atlanta, Jonesboro, Lovejoy Station, Columbus, Franklin and Nashville.

Receiving his discharge at Louisville, Kentucky, Mr. Flener returned to the home roof, not a man in years, but of great stature in the eyes of a grateful country. He remained on the farm until his marriage, in October of 1868, to Margaret, daughter of Mosby and Betsy James. After a short period in the home neighborhood, he and his wife came to Rutland township, Montgomery county — the year being 1870 — and took up a claim, which they improved, investing the sum of $800, which they had saved. January 6, 1875, Mr. Flener had the misfortune to lose his wife. Her two children were: Albena, now the wife of Mont. Honeycut, of Lyon county, and Anna, who married James Flannery and lives in Kansas City, Missouri. In April of 1877, Mr. Flener secured a mother for his two small children, in the person of the lady who now so fitly presides over his home. Her name was Maggie Scott, born in Hancock county, Illinois, on the 15th of August, 1852. Mrs. Flener is the daughter of David and Nancy Scott, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively. The father died young and the mother married John Croft. They came to Montgomery county in 1871, where he died, in 1876, at the age of seventy-three, the wife still being an honored resident of the county. She bore her first husband three children: Joseph, William and Maggie. To her second husband: Mary, Emma. Charles M.. John B., Clara C, Lady A. and Harry E. To Mr. and Mrs. Flener have been born: Aubry Enza and Katy, parents and children comprising a congenial family.

Mr. Flener continued to cultivate his original claim until the year 1883, when he sold it and purchased the farm of one hundred and twenty acres where he now resides, one mile north of the town of Caney, on Cheyenne creek. This farm is all fine bottom land and, under the skillful hand of our subject, has been brought up to a high state of cultivation Mr. Flener's home is a commodious two-story residence, which stands amid the timber, eighty rods back from the road, at the end of a beautiful driveway, bordered by rows of walnut trees, these being trimmed down to the consistency of a hedge, save every two rods, when one is allowed to tower above his fellows in fancied preeminence, the effect being unique and striking. The success of Mr. Flener, in Kansas, is a tribute to honest toil and frugal living. To know what to do and just the right time to do it, seems to be the faculty most prominent in his make-up. He has ever held himself ready to assume the duties of citizenship, keeps posted on the events of the day, and believes in prosperity and progress. He is a member of the A. H. T. A. and of the Grand Army of the Republic, and in politics, believes in the principles of the immortal Jefferson.

Friday, May 9, 2014

Ohio County 2014 Armed Forces Day Observance

Ohio County 2014 Armed Forces Day Observance


Manalcus Ford was born in Princeton, Caldwell County, Kentucky on July 10, 1826 and died March 12, 1896, in Centertown, Ohio County. He was the son of William Ford, Jr. and Sarah (Chapman) Ford.  He was married July 9, 1849 to Mariah Sawyer who was born July 19, 1831, died April 7, 1923 and is buried at Oak Hill Cemetery in Livermore, McLean County, Kentucky.  Manalcus Ford is buried at Walton’s Creek Baptist Church Cemetery near Centertown, Ohio County, Kentucky, with son G. Manalcus ‘Mack’ Ford born October 18, 1855 and died May 6, 1891, of tuberculosis, having joined Walton’s Creek Church in 1878.

Manalcus ‘Mack’ Ford, Sr., a blacksmith, also was a minister of the General Baptist faith and served as a Sunday School superintendent.   His military history reflects his service in the Confederate States of America army as a Captain in the Civil War.   He served in Brigadier General Hylan B. Lyon’s Brigade Cavalry of 8th Kentucky and was captured and taken prisoner in Citronelle, Alabama on May 4, 1865 and released in Mobile, Alabama on May 30, 1865.

Mariah Sawyer Ford, as a widow, lived with son, Dr. Robert L. Ford and wife, Nora (Bennett) Ford, who are also buried in Oak Hill Cemetery.  

Newspaper clippings disclose that Manalcus came to Centertown as a new blacksmith.  Another article talked about a rooster on a post, assuming a wrought iron rooster he made that was apparently a long ago fixture of Centertown.  He was also a General Baptist minister at Green River Union Baptist Church. 
2014 marks the 200th year anniversary of Waltons Creek Church whose members will join American Legion members, Sons of Confederate Veterans members, with retired United States Navy Master Chief Petty Officer Rick Lambert, great-great-grandson of Manalcus and Mariah Ford, to dedicate a Civil War marker for Captain Manalcus Ford.  The marker was set by members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, Forrest’s Camp #1744, Calhoun, Kentucky members.  The ceremony will be held at 11:00 am on Saturday, May 17, 2014, at the cemetery.   The dedication will be performed by members of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War - Sgt. Elijah P. Marrs Camp 5, Nicholasville, Kentucky.

A fitting tribute of respect for observance of Armed Forces Day, Church members and Centertown Welborn Lee Ashby American Legion Post #296 and Auxiliary Unit will be serving lunch at the church following the ceremony.

Thanks to Helen McKeown.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014



Captain Philip Fulkerson was born in New Jersey about 1750 and married Elizabeth Bruner about 1775. They moved to Jefferson County, KY about 1782; then to Nelson County about 1803; then to Ohio County about 1810. He died in Ohio County in 1813.

Philip and Elizabeth had nine children: Mary, Adam, Jane, Philip, Fulkerd, Rachael, John, Jacob, and Pamela.

1. Mary was born in NJ about 1776 and died in MO by 1846.

2. Adam was born in NJ about 1777 and died in Ohio County June 1843. He served during the War of 1812 from 15 Nov 1814 until 15 May 1815. Adam was married first to Rebecca Wakefield and second to Mary Bailey. Rebecca had six children and Mary four, all born in Ohio County. These ten children were: Molly, Nancy, Rebecca, Margaret, Kinchlo, Philp Adam, Julia, Susan, Oliver Perry, and Thomas Ennis.

3. Jane was born in NJ about 1779, married Samuel Robertson and moved to Burnt Prairie, White Co., IL and died there in 1845. One of her grandchildren, Raymond Robertson, taught school in Centertown. A son, Dr. James Robertson, practiced medicine in Echols, Ohio County.

4. Philip Bruner was born about 1785, married Sarah Ann Taylor, and lived in Ohio County, where he died 14 Feb 1845. They had 13 children.

5. Fulkerd was born about 1789 in Mercer County, KY and died in Ohio County April 1867. He had nine children.

            According to Kentucky - A History of the State [by W. H. Perrin, J H Battle and G C Kniffin, 8th Edition published 1888, page 953], "Fulkerd when a young man, about 1812, came with his parents, who were among the early settlers, to Ohio Co, KY, then almost a wilderness. In this county Fulkerd Fulkerson was married, and after attaining his majority improved a farm on a part of his father's purchase, where he remained until the fall of 1823, when he sold and removed to White County, Illinois, where he bought a farm, and resided for some thirty-five years. His wife died in 1850 and in 1858, he sold his farm and returned to KY making his home with his children until his death, which occurred in April 1867 in his seventy-second year."

6. Rachel was born June 1792 in Mercer County and died April 1856 in Wayne County, IL. She married Thomas MacMackin Wilson and had nine children.

7. John was born about 1795; married Polly Graves 1816; and died about 1865.  He was on the rolls of Captain Solomon Brandenburg's company, Third Regiment, Kentucky Detached Militia, when he was about 17, serving as an Ensign (third lieutenant) from 1 Sep 1812 to 25 Dec 1812. He served again from 15 Nov 1814 until 15 May 1815. They had eight children. He later married Ellen Belvins.

8. Jacob was born Feb 1799 and married Anne Skaggs. They had 13 children, all born Ohio County, KY.

9. Pamela (Permealy) was mentioned in her father’s 1813 Will.

If you are a Fulkerson, or if you are related to the Fulkerson family, you should check out Bob Fulkerson’s web site, which can be found at

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Historical Sketches of Kentucky - 1850

Historical Sketches of Kentucky : Embracing Its History, Antiquities, and Natural Curiosities, Geographical, Statistical, and Geological Descriptions

By: Lewis Collins; Published 1850


Ohio county was formed in 1798, and named from the Ohio river. It is situated in the west middle portion of the State, lying on the waters of Greene river, which forms its southern and a part of its southwestern boundary—Rough creek, quite a considerable stream, flowing, in a meandering course, through its northern territory: bounded on the north by Hancock; east by Grayson; southeast by Butler; southwest by Muhlenburg; and northwest by Daviess. The soil of this county is considered equal to that of the Greene river lands generally, producing excellent crops of corn, tobacco, oats, potatoes, clover and other grasses, but supposed not to contain sufficient lime for the profit- able growing of wheat. The timber is heavy and of a superior quality. Iron ore abounds in the county, and the beds of excellent coal are inexhaustible. The morus multicaulis flourishes here, and the culture of silk might be carried on to any extent. Some specimens of the manufactured article have been pronounced equal to the best Italian. Valuation of taxable property in Ohio county, in 1846, $1,280,- 237 ; number of acres of land in the county, 309,630 ; average value of lands per acre, $2.08 ; number of white males over twenty one years of age, 1,407 ; number of children between five and seventeen years old, 2,032. Population in 1840, 6,592—but supposed to be one-third greater in 1847. Hartford, the seat of justice, is situated on the bank of Rough creek, about twenty-eight miles by water from its junction with Greene river, and one hundred and sixty miles from Frankfort. Its location is pleasant and agreeable, remarkable for its fine water, and the general health of the population, which numbers about 400. It contains a brick court-house and other county buildings, two churches (Methodist and Free,) six lawyers, six physicians, two taverns, fifteen stores and groceries and ten mechanics’ shops. Established in 1808, Ohio was the first county formed below Hardin, and once included all of the present counties of Ohio, Daviess and Hancock, with portions of Breckinridge, Grayson and Butler. The immediate vicinity of Hartford was settled at a very early period, and was often the scene of bloody strife and acts of noble daring. Hartford and Barnett’s stations were about two miles apart, and although never regularly besieged, were frequently harassed by straggling parties of Indians, and a number of persons, who imprudently ventured out of sight of the stations, killed or captured. The following facts we have derived from Mr. Stephen Stateler, a pioneer and venerable and esteemed citizen of Ohio county: In April, 1790, the Indians waylaid Barnett’s station, and killed two of the children of John Anderson. One of the party assaulted Mrs. Anderson with a sword, inflicted several severe wounds upon her person, and while in the act of taking oft' her scalp, John Miller ran up within about twenty steps, and snapped his rifle at him. The Indian fled, leaving his sword, but succeeded in carrying off- the scalp of Mrs. Anderson. She however recovered and lived some ten or twelve years afterwards. The same party captured and carried oft' Hannah Barnett, a daughter of Colonel Joseph Barnett, then a girl of about ten years of age. They retained her as a captive until October of the same year, when through the instrumentality of her brother-in-law, Robert Baird, she was recovered and restored to her friends. In August, of the same year, three men were attacked by a party of Indians, near the mouth of Greene river. John Mcllmurray, one of the whites, was killed, a man named Faith was wounded, and Martin Vannada was made a prisoner.

The Indians immediately crossed the Ohio river, and, after traveling for some days in the direction of their towns, struck, as they supposed, the trail of some white men. In order to pursue them with the utmost celerity and without impediment, they tied Vannada to a tree. With the view of rendering his escape hopeless, during their absence, they spread a blanket at the root of a tree, and caused him to sit upon it, with his back against the tree. His hands were then pinioned behind him, and fastened to the tree with one rope, while they tied another rope around his neck, and fastened it to the tree above. In this painful position they left him, and commenced the pursuit of their supposed enemies. But no sooner had they departed, than he commenced the work of extricating himself. With much difficulty he succeeded in releasing his hands, but his task appeared then only to have begun. He ascertained that he could not reach round the tree so as to get to the knot; and it was so twisted or tied between his neck and the tree, that it was impossible for him to slip it one way or the other. Without a knife, he made powerful efforts to get the rope between his teeth, that he might gnaw it in two. Failing in this, he almost regretted having made any effort to effect his escape, as, upon the return of the Indians, the forfeit of his life would, in all probability, be the consequence. At this moment he recollected that there were some metal buttons on his waistcoat. Instantly tearing one off, he placed it between his teeth, and, by great efforts, broke it into two pieces. With the rough edge of one of these, he succeeded in fretting rather than cutting the cord in two which bound his neck to the tree, and was once more free. But in what a condition! In a wilderness and an enemy’s country, with no clothing save a shirt, waistcoat, breeches and moccasins!—no provisions, no gun, no ammunition, no knife, not even a flint to strike fire with! He did not, however, hesitate or falter, but instantly struck into the trackless forest, in the direction of home,— and, under the direction of a kind Providence, reached Hartford the ninth day after his escape, having subsisted upon such small animals and insects as he could catch and eat raw. He was nearly famished, and greatly emaciated; but having fallen into good hands, he was soon recruited, and returned to his family in fine health.

In the year 1786 or 1787, an incident occurred at a fort on Greene river, which displays the dangers which beset the emigrants of that period, and illustrates the magnanimity of the female character. About twenty young persons—male and female—of the fort, had united in a flax pulling, in one of the most distant fields. In the course of the forenoon two of their mothers made them a visit, and the younger took along her child, about eighteen months old. When the whole party were near the woods, one of the young women, who had climbed over the fence, was fired upon by several Indians concealed in the bushes, who at the same time raised the usual war-whoop. She was wounded, but retreated, as did the whole party, some running with her down the lane, which happened to open near that point, and others across the field. They were hotly pursued by the enemy, who continued to yell and fire upon them. The older of the two mothers who had gone out, recollecting in her flight that the younger, a small and feeble woman, was burdened with her child, turned back in the face of the enemy, they firing and yelling hideously, took the child from its almost exhausted mother, and ran with it to the fort, a distance of three hundred yards. During the chase, she was twice shot at with rifles, when the enemy were so near that the powder burned her, and one arrow passed through her sleeve; but she escaped uninjured. The young woman who was wounded almost reached the place of safety, when she sunk, and her pursuer, who had the hardihood, to attempt to scalp her, was killed by a bullet from the fort.

Thursday, May 1, 2014




On the C. O. & S. W. Railway, five miles southeast of Hartford, the county seat of Ohio County; and 110 miles from Louisville.  Daily stage to Hartford, Adams Express. Population, 600.  Emma Barnes, postmaster.

Business Directory

Austin, A. J., carpenter
Austin, F. O. & Co., general store
Austin, R. H., blacksmith
Baldwin, D. L., carpenter
Barnes, John L., cashier, Beaver Dam Deposit Bank
Beard, John, barber
Beaver Dam Deposit Bank (capital $25,000), B. Dampy, Pres.
Blankenship, W. H., grocer
Coats, Mrs. G. A., dressmaker
Gray, B. F., livestock
Hocker & Co., general store
Hudson, J. M., carpenter
Hunt, Stewart & Leach, general store
Maddox & Leach, livery
Merrick, H., railroad and express agent
Metcalfe, H. S., hotel
Mitchell, George F., physician
Mitchell, I. F., physician
Mitchell, S. L., druggist
Rhoades, D. J., insurance
Taylor, C. M., saw and flour mill
Taylor, R. T., druggist
Taylor & Austin, livery
Taylor & Co., meat market
Wilford, E. D. & Co., grocers
Williams, J. D., blacksmith