Thursday, May 30, 2013


DAVID JARRELL KELLEY MADDOX was the Seventeenth Pastor of the Green River Church. He served in the office from January, 1899, to and including May, 1902 - a period of three years and five months - forty-one months. In that time he saw the Church membership, which had been reduced drastically by roll revision from 222 to 138 in 1896, climb back to 161 in 1901, as a great revival in 1900 added 29 by baptism alone. The Church paid him $100.00 per year for his labors in their midst. 

Brother Maddox was born near the village of Rockport, Ohio County, Kentucky, on May 10th, 1836; and died in the same County, on February 21, 1904. His body was interred in the family Cemetery near West Providence Baptist Church, Ohio County, Kentucky, after four Baptist Ministers had taken an active part in conducting his funeral at the Church. He was the son of John Maddox, Jr., a Licensed Minister, but never an ordained one. His father was a successful revivalist for years. His mother was Amelia B. (Render) Maddox, the daughter of Robert Render and Charlotte (Barnes) Render. He bore the name well of one of the most famous of the pioneer Baptist Ministers of the Green River Country - David Jarrell Kelley (1791-1831) - who was a faithful Minister of the Gospel of Christ himself. He was the eighth child of ten born to his parents, and in his early years had only the educational advantages afforded by his native County; but, by close application, labored in the day and studying at night, and preaching on the Lord's Day, he acquired a large amount of information on ecclesiastical and literary subjects. 

He was married in March, 1856, to Miss Sallie A. Tichenor, the daughter of Collier and Ann Tichenor. To this union twelve children were born. Two of them, Edgar Dowden Maddox and Albert L. Maddox, became useful Baptist Ministers. His first died about 1900. In November, 1902, he married Lou Tichenor, who ministered tenderly to him until his death. At the age of ten, in 1846, Brother Maddox was converted and baptized into the fellowship of the Walton's Creek Church by the writer's maternal great-grandfather - Alfred Taylor - the Pastor. The meeting was conducted in his father's home, and he was among sixteen who were baptized at that time. This was the beginning of the work which later grew into West Providence Church, in July, 1853, the home of the Maddox preachers for four generations. 

He was licensed by the West Providence Church in June, 1859, and ordained on May 7th, 1860, by a Council or Presbytery composed of Baptist Ministers Alfred Taylor and J. F. Austin. In his ministry of forty-four years, he served sixteen Churches. They were: Rochester in Butler County; West Providence, Pond Run, Mt. Carmel, Beaver Dam, Woodward's Valley, West Point, Green River, Cool Spring and Mt. Zion, in Ohio County; Paradise, Central City and Drakesboro, in Muhlenberg County; Buck Creek and Livermore, in McLean County; and South Hampton, in Daviess County. Brother Maddox took a deep interest in Denominational Affairs at large, attending often the general meetings. For thirteen years he served as the Moderator of the Gasper River Association. He assisted in organizing a number of Churches, and in ordaining a number of Baptist Ministers, of which nine had been baptized by him. The work of the Denomination was greatly helped by his life and ministry. 

A Sesquicentennial History of the Green River Missionary Baptist Church 1836 - 1986, Written and Compiled by Wendell Holmes Rone, Sr., For the One Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary of the Founding of the Church, 1987.

Monday, May 27, 2013



Bartemus was born in Charles Co., MD on April 25, 1799 to Osborn Acton and his second wife Elizabeth.  Bartemus married Sarah Ann Robey, daughter of Aquilla and Chloe (Robey) Robey on June 27, 1825.  She was known as Sallie Ann and was born in Charles Co. on June 6, 1809.  According to family tradition, Bartemus (promounced Bar-tee'-mus) and Sarah, and their first three children, came from Port Tobacco, Maryland in Charles Co. around 1829 with their possessions loaded in ox wagons.  The Boswell family joined them and they all settled on Halls Creek near their old friends the Leonard Bean family. 

The cabin they first settled in was already standing on their land, on the banks of Halls Creek a few miles from Sulfur Springs near the buffalo trail towards Rosine.  Years later his great granddaughter Bessie Acton Rowe described the house as being a well-built two-story house with large rooms.  There was no dogtrot leading to the back part of the house but instead a wide plank walkway between the living quarters and the room behind the house.  There the Actons kept meat, lard, barrels of meal, flour, canned and dried goods, and fruits and nuts.  Bessie said the cabin burned around 1926.

Bartemus was a farmer, slave-owner, and a Class Leader of the old Mt. Vernon Methodist Church.  He was one of the founders of Mt. Vernon in 1854 and was a trustee of the building committee for the second church building in 1866.  His real estate was valued at $5000 for the 1840 census and he owned three slaves.  In 1870, one of these slaves still lived with the family; a woman named Ann Acton, born in 1820 in MD and who worked for the family as a cook.  She and other Acton slaves have many descendants who live in Ohio and Daviess Co. today.

Sarah Robey Acton had nine children between 1826 and 1846 which was about average for a family during those times.  She died on June 19, 1849 and was buried at the age of forty years and thirteen days in the Bean Cemetery at Sulfur Springs in Ohio Co.  Sarah's estate papers are recorded in Butler Co. in Bk. B, p 259.

Sulfur Springs was one of the oldest towns in Ohio Co. and had daily stage runs connecting it with Rosine, beginning in 1888.  It was a resort town with a twenty room hotel where guests would "take the waters", enjoy barbecue cooked food, and good music.  The Acton store there was probably run by Bartemus' grandson Robert Acton, son of William Henry Acton.  There was also a livery stable, two drug stores, and a post office, which was located in another merchandise store across from the Acton store.  This was owned by Jerry Cannon.  Dr. Frank Bean operated a blacksmith business. 

The area once known as Sulfur Springs was sold to the Methodist Church in 1931 and converted to a camp with a parsonage.  This Methodist church merged in 1968 with the United Methodist Church of Dundee.  Down the road was the "colored church".   The 1937 flood caused several homes and the hotel to be under water and the mail came in by boat.  In the early 1970's the hotel was razed and a large log home was constructed over the foundation.

Bartemus married second to Eliza Statler Taylor on November 1851 but had no children by this marriage.  Eliza was born April 28, 1798 and died February 5, 1866; she was descended from the Stephen Statler and Ignatius Pigman families, both early pioneer families of Ohio Co. 

Bartemus wrote his will on March 21, 1867 and it is recorded in Ohio Co.  His estate papers are in Butler Co., Bk B, p 506.  He died March 31, 1868 near Sulfur Springs and is buried with his first wife Sarah Ann in the Bean Cemetery on the Mt. Vernon Rd. in Ohio Co.

The children of Bartemus and Sarah Robey Acton were:

1) SUSANNAH CAROLINE ACTON - Born April 8, 1826 in Charles Co., MD and named for Bartemus' sister; married on August 24, 1843 to stonemason Joseph Martin (Mark) Mitchell.  She died September 8, 1878 in Ohio Co.

2) MARY JANE ACTON - Born December 24, 1827 in Charles Co., MD; married to Gabriel Jackson Bean, son of Leonard and Sarah Boswell Bean, on October 17, 1844.  She died July 29, 1896.

3) THOMAS WASHINGTON (WASH) ACTON - Born May 21, 1829 in Charles Co., MD and named for his maternal grandfather.  He married on January 2, 1851 to Ellen Hale.    He died July 8, 1917 and was buried at the Midkiff Cemetery.  Wash observed a slave auction at Dundee, KY and vowed never to have any part of slavery despite the fact his father was a slave owner. 

4) PATRICK GABRIEL (GABE) ACTON - Born June 17, 1831 and married on March 22, 1853 in Daviess Co. to Cordelia ( Delia) S. Lashbrook;  she was born November 1, 1835, daughter of Norris Lashbrook.  He died in 1883.

E) CHLOE ANN ELIZABETH ACTON - Born May 7, 1833 in Sulfur Springs and named for her two grandmothers; married on December 25, 1852 to Noble Bean.  Noble who was born May 7, 1830 in Acton, KY in Taylor Co. to Leonard and Sarah (Boswell) Bean and died September 10, 1910.   Elizabeth died May 30, 1910 and was buried in the Mt. Vernon Cemetery. 

6) WILLIAM HENRY ACTON  - Born November 4, 1834 in Warren Co., KY although his parents were probably residing in Ohio Co. at the time.  He married Martha Jane Crawford on January 24, 1856, daughter of Hugh and Rebecca (Forman) Crawford.  She was born April 28, 1837 and died March 18, 1920.  He died October 9, 1917 in Ohio Co. and is buried in the Mt. Vernon Cemetery.

7) FIELDER WEMMES ACTON - Born March 24, 1837 and married Elizabeth Wade Hines on January 28, 1858; he died March 24, 1911 and is buried in the Mt. Vernon Cemetery near Sulfur Springs. 

8) MARTHA ANN ACTON - Martha was born July 15, 1840 and married William T. Crawford on September 22, 1856 and died in Grayson Co., KY after 1900.

9) EVELINE BEAN ACTON - Born March 16, 1846; married Thomas L. Davis on December 13, 1865; he was born December 26, 1842 and died December 9, 1892.  She died on March 25, 1916 and is buried in the Sunnydale Cemetery in Ohio Co. 

Note:  This biography was researched and prepared by Glenda Potts Thacker from Owensboro.  Thank you for submitting this wonderful bio.

Sunday, May 26, 2013



          The stock market crashed in 1929 and the Great Depression started shortly thereafter. Herbert Hoover, the President, and his successor, Franklin D. Roosevelt, tried many different programs to help the economy – some that worked and many that didn’t work. The Great Depression did not loosen its’ grip on our economy until we became a part of World War II in 1941.
          One of the programs that worked for President Franklin D. Roosevelt was the Works Progress Administration, which was created by Congress through the Emergency Relief Appropriation Act in April of 1935. In Depression-era Kentucky, people desperately needed jobs. Roosevelt's New Deal program did just that, funding hundreds of labor projects, from road construction and forest conservation to cultural programs in music, art, and history. The Works Progress Administration was renamed the Work Projects Administration (WPA) in 1939 and was the largest agency in the New Deal, employing millions of people to construct public buildings and roads, and operate arts and literacy projects. Almost every community in the United States had a public building, road or bridge created by the WPA.
          The approximate total amount spent by the Federal government on WPA projects nationally from 1936 to 1943 was over $11 billion.
          During the Great Depression the WPA provided some skills training and almost 8 million jobs to the unemployed. These jobs, however, were limited to one person per household. Approximately 15 percent of the households were headed by women. The average age of the workers was 40 years old.
          The Livermore Bridge on US 431 was a WPA project and was opened November 13, 1940.

          The Hartford Municipal Waterworks was constructed by the WPA in 1941 and the County Courthouse in Hartford was constructed by the WPA in 1936-37, as was the Hartford City Hall and Fire Station Annex.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

World War I Registration Cards

World War I Registration Cards
On 6 April 1917, the United States declared war on Germany and officially entered World War I. Six weeks later, on 18 May 1917, the Selective Service Act was passed, which authorized the president to increase the military establishment of the United States. As a result, every male living within the United States between the ages of eighteen and forty-five was required to register for the draft.
The period of 1880-1920 was a high immigration period to the United States. Young men were required to register for the draft regardless of their U.S. citizenship status. Of course, not all the men who registered actually served in the armed forces, and there were some who enlisted and served in the war but did not register for the draft.

In 1917 and 1918, approximately 24 million men living in the United States completed a World War I draft registration card. These registration cards represent approximately 98% of the men under the age of 46. The total U.S. population in 1917-1918 was about 100 million individuals. In other words, close to 25% of the total population is represented in these records.

The World War I draft consisted of three separate registrations.
·         First Registration. The registration on 5 June 1917 was for men aged twenty-one to thirty-one—men born between 6 June 1886 and 5 June 1896.
·         Second Registration. The registration on 5 June 1918 was for men who had turned twenty-one years of age since the previous registration—men born between 6 June 1896 and 5 June 1897. Men who had not previously registered and were not already in the military also registered. In addition, a supplemental registration on 24 August 1918, was for men who turned twenty-one years of age since 5 June 1918.
·         Third Registration. The registration on 12 Sept 1918 was for men aged eighteen to twenty-one and thirty-one to forty-five—men born between 11 Sept 1872 and 12 Sept 1900.
Note that three different cards were used, one for each registration period described above, and the questions on each of the three cards are slightly different.  The first card has name, age, address, date and place of birth, citizenship status, employer’s name and address, dependent information, marital status, race, military service, and physical appearance. The second card has name, age, address, date and place of birth, father’s birthplace, citizenship status, occupation, employer’s name and address, dependent information, name and address of nearest relative, and physical appearance. The third card has name, address, age, date of birth, race, citizenship status, occupation, employer's name and address, name and address of nearest relative, and physical appearance. 
The original records are kept at the National Archives—Southeast Region in East Point, Georgia. Microfilm copies are at the National Archives regions that serve their respective states. In addition, some large libraries have the film of these cards for their own state.
I belong to, who has these cards available in a searchable database. I just looked at all cards in their database from Ohio County and it appears that there over 5,400 men from Ohio County registered for WWI. In the Leach family the date of birth for the youngest man that registered was February 1875 and the oldest was November 1899; this age span is fairly typical. So, you will find that these cards are an excellent source of information for all male ancestors that were born from about 1875 until about 1900. Also, you will find that some of your ancestors had moved away from Ohio County, or for some unknown reason registered in another county or another state. These individuals will be found in the state and county where they registered.

Here is the registration card for Justus Gobel Leach, who lived in Beaver Dam – note that he registered September 12, 1918 and that he was 18 years old when he registered:

Tuesday, May 21, 2013


ELLIS JASPER MADDOX: The subject of his sketch, whose parents were A. P. and Remus Maddox, was born in 1859, near Rockport, (Ohio County,) Ky. At the early age of fifteen years he was born again and baptized, the baptizing being done by D. J. K. Maddox, an uncle of the younger Maddox. He was licensed to preach when about twenty-one, at the same time with Bro. H. P. Brown, of West Providence Church, in Ohio County. At the age of twenty-eight, on November 5, 1887, he was ordained to the full work of the Gospel ministry. In June of 1890, he graduated at Bethel College, receiving the A.B. degree in October of the same year, he was married to Ellen Bow, who, with one child, a daughter, survived him. During his stay at Bethel College especially the last three years, in connection with his laborious school work, he began to be quite actively engaged in actual ministerial labors, serving Muddy River Church, of Bethel Association, Mt. Carmel of Gasper River Association, South Carrollton and Sugar Grove of the Daviess County Association. Gradually he was called to other churches near Owensboro, namely: Zion, Southampton and Mt. Carmel. In the meantime he had been called to the care of the Walnut Street Church of Owensboro, which call he declined. At the time of his death he was pastor-elect of Fordsville Church, having previously resigned the care of Mt. Carmel. He departed this life in September, 1895, at the early age of thirty-six, a life short when measured by years, but filled with labors of love for his Master. During his school life his work was a credit to himself as well as to the institution which he attended. His disposition, as shown among his fellow students, was such as to gain their high esteem and love. As a pastor, he endeavored so to fulfill his duties, and did it so well that it was a puzzle to the churches to know whom to secure to succeed him. But he built wisely, and the churches have gone on in the work he was called so early to leave. He was secretary of Daviess County Association in 1893-1895. He served both faithfully and efficiently giving satisfaction to all. The last sermon he preached was one of a series on "The Final Perseverance of the Saints." His last preaching was indicative of his ministerial life. He realized the saving grace of God and felt that he was being kept by that same power. And feeling thus he persevered as a preacher of the gospel. He preached the Annual Sermon before the Association in 1895, the year of his death. 

A HISTORY OF THE DAVIESS-McLEAN BAPTIST ASSOCIATION IN KENTUCKY, 1844-1943" by Wendell H. Rone, Probably published in 1944 by Messenger Job Printing Co., Inc., Owensboro, Kentucky, pp. 335-336. 

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Future Farmers of America - 1940

Future Farmers of America - 1940

            “In 1935 the Kentucky State Fair established a separate competitive department for the State’s Future Farmers of America.  This organization, known as the “F.F.A.,” is composed of pupils studying agriculture in Kentucky high schools that offer courses in compliance with the Smith-Hughes Act. There were 237 of these schools in Kentucky in 1939, and in each school there was a chapter of the Future Farmers of America, a national organization of prospective farmers, the object of which is to improve the farm and farm home conditions. The Kentucky F.F.A. has a membership of about 8,000 boys studying vocational agriculture (1935).

            Ten thousand Kentucky members of the F.F.A. sent their ablest representatives to the 1940 Kentucky State Fair.  Mention is made but of a few of the varied activities of the 624 contestants coming from 208 chapters in teams of three or showing individually. Among their extra-curricular doings of fair week was an evening parade that drew the attention of many thousands on the grounds. The F.F.A. winners in the livestock classes received as awards a trip to the American Royal Livestock Show at Kansas City, all expenses paid, plus $800 in cash.  Among the individual championship winners were: W. F. Crosby, Lewisburg, Mason County, in the Chester-White pig division, and Thurston Everly of Centertown, Ohio County, in the Duroc-Jersey pig division. Cecil Epperson, Winchester; Howard Glenn Lea, Brooksville; Charles Wallingford, Nepton; and Arnold Hayden, Lexington, took swine show honors. F.F.A. prize winners in the poultry classes were the Bagdad Chapter; the Pleasureville Chapter; the Winchester and Clay County winning team consisted of Otis Bundy, Paul Reynolds and Baxter Smith; Howard Glenn Lea of Brooksville; Reuben Naylor of Lexington; Robert F. Simpson of Nicholsville and Donald Ward of Hartford. Austin Spencer, of Marion, won first prize on Irish Cobbler potatoes.”

Copied from “Fairs and Fair Makers of Kentucky, Volume II, Kentucky State Fair” – prepared by the WPA and published by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture, April 1932.

Saturday, May 18, 2013


WADE N. MARTIN, considered to be one of Ohio County's most successful business men and one of its best citizens during the last half of the nineteenth century, was born of respected and God-fearing parents in Butler County, Kentucky, on June 26, 1827. His father, John Martin, was a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, born in 1801; and, who came with his parents to Kentucky in 1815 and settled in Logan County at Shakertown (South Union). They removed to Butler County, in 1817, where he married Miss Malinda Neil (Neal) on September 20, 1822, on a Butler County License. 

Seventeen children were born to this union, of which Wade N. Martin was the third. His father died in Texas in 1867. Wade N. Martin's paternal grandfather was also named John Martin. Born in Ireland in 1765 and a sailor by profession, he served in the American Navy during the Thirteen Colonies' War for Independence (1776-1781). John Martin, Senior (b. 1765 - d. September 24th 1835) and his wife, Mary (Graham) Martin (b. December 25, 1778 - December 24, 1863), moved to Butler County, Kentucky, at about the same time their son (John Martin, Junior) did so, in 1817, where they spent the remainder of their earthly lives. Mrs. Martin was nearly ninety-five years of age at her death. Both of them are buried in the Wilson Cemetery in Butler County, Kentucky. Brother Wade N. Martin's maternal grandparents, George Neal and Margaret (Tyler) Neal, were both natives of North Carolina. On some records the name is spelled Neil. Mrs. Neal was born on February 15, 1781 and died on October 23, 1856. She was laid to rest in the Old Riverview Cemetery, at Morgantown. We have found no record of his birth or death. 

In the Battle - Perrin - Kniffin "History of Kentucky" Ohio County Biographical Section, it is said of Wade N. Martin, that he: "Remained with his parents until the age of fifteen, when he began to learn the trade of tanner and worked with John Helm, of Morgantown. When he arrived at the age of eighteen, his father 'gave him his time.' Wages were not over $7.00 per month; but, for eight years, he continued tanning, when he could get work, in the meantime making several trips on the river in flat-boats." 

Brother Martin married twice. On April 11, 1850, on a Butler County License, he married Miss Martha T. Harris; and, three years later (1853), settled in Wayne County, Illinois, where his wife, Martha died, leaving one child -- Corrinna, who died the same year. In early 1855, he removed to Ohio County, Kentucky, where he purchased a tannery and worked at his trade. His second marriage was celebrated on December 265, 1855, with Miss Jemima N. S. E. Hodges. To this union were born eight children, seven of whom reached maturity. They were: George W. Martin (b. January 23, 1857 - d. October 20, 1924), who married Mary T. Wallace (b. March 20, 1856 - d. May 1, 1917); Mary T. (Martin) Embry (b. August 2, 1859 - d. January 6, 1921), who married Nelson H. Embry (b. November 5, 1847 - d. January 24, 1914). Both the George Martins and the Nelson Embrys are buried in the Green River Cemetery. Martha F. (Martin) Stratton (b. March 24, 1865 - d. May 9, 1918), who married Thomas C. Stratton (b. November 20, 1859 - August 27, 1950). They, too, are buried in the Green River Cemetery.

John W. Martin (b.c. 1868) was the third son and fifth child. We have no other particulars concerning him. His younger brother, Rice P. Martin, was born on July 16, 1862 and died on February 16, 1876, in his thirteenth year. He was the third child. He is also buried in the Green River Cemetery. Ransom B. Martin, the sixth child and fourth son, was born on March 21, 1870, and died on November 11, 1933. He married Delilah Ann Flener on a Butler County Marriage License in November, 1887. She was born on January 1, 1871, and died on June 27, 1957, in her eighty-sixth year. They became the parents of the famous Hartford Lawyer and Commonwealth Attorney, Otto C. Martin (1889-1963). Ransom B. Martin was seventeen and his wife was sixteen when they married. They too, are buried in the Green River Cemetery. Sina M. (Martin) Taylor (b. January 25, 1873 - d. March 3, 1960) was married to John X. Taylor (b. February 24, 1867 - d. April 10, 1965), and their remains were interred in the Green River Cemetery upon their respective deaths. Luella E. Martin was married to J. C. Gentry. We have no particulars concerning them. Mrs. Jemima N. S. E. (Hodges) Martin's parents were Ransom S. Hodges (b. 1807 a native of Virginia - d.c. the year 1877) and Mary Ann (Murphy) Hodges (b. July 14, 1811 in Tennessee - d. January 5, 1882). The mother was born in Sumner County, Tennessee, and died in Ohio County, Kentucky. Her body was interred in the Green River Baptist Church Cemetery. We have no information as to his exact birth and death or place of burial. He was born in Franklin County, Virginia. They married in Sumner County, Tennessee, in 1829, moved to Ohio County in 1847, and became the parents of nine children. Mrs. Martin was the second child and first daughter. Her father was a school teacher of note. She became a member of the Green River Church by Christian Experience and Baptism on January 1, 1854, being baptized by Pastor James F. Austin. She continued therein until her death on June 27, 1921, a period of over 67 years. She is buried in the Green River Cemetery. 

Brother Martin became a member of the Green River Church by Christian Experience and Baptism on January 1, 1854, being baptized, too, by Pastor James F. Austin. He continued in the membership until his death on February 21, 1900, or over forty-six years. He was chosen as a Deacon of the Church on August 20, 1859, and ordained on April 14, 1860 by Pastor James F. Austin and Deacons David A. Miller, J. B. Rogers and Thomas Fulkerson. He filled the office of Deacon for over forty years. From 1863 through March 17, 1888, he served as the Treasurer of the Church - a period of over twenty-five years. He served as a Messenger from the Church to the Gasper River Association in the years 1859, 1861, 1864-1865, 1867, 1873, and probably in 1877 and 1879. After nineteen years, in 1874, Brother Martin discontinued the tanning business, which he had followed successfully for that length of time, and gave his attention to trading in land and stock, etc. which he followed for several years. By 1885 he owned 1,500 acres of land in Ohio and adjoining Counties. His home farm was well improved with good barns, an [sic] handsome dwelling, and an orchard. He was one of the original stockholders of the Beaver Dam Deposit Bank, established in 1890; he was a member of its first Board of Directors, continuing in this official position with the bank until his death in March, of 1900. He was an ardent advocate of the Temperance Cause and a total abstainer himself. He embraced the Whig political party in early life, and was a great admirer of Henry Clay of Kentucky; and, after, 1854, he supported the Republican party of Abraham Lincoln, as did many of his fellow citizens in Ohio County. This was long before woman suffrage (the law allowing their voting rights) was granted to them. 

Brother and Mrs. Martin were the parents of RANSOM B. MARTIN, born in Ohio County, near Cromwell, on March 21, 1870. He attended the common schools of the county and a special one at Morgantown. He married Delilah Ann Flener (1871-1957), the daughter of Bedford Franklin Flener (b. Feb. 20-1844 - d. November 29th, 1924) and Virginia (Martin) Flener (January 26, 18467 - d. July 14, 1932), in November, 1887. They became the parents of five children: R. B. Martin, Jr., who died in infancy (1909-1909); Audrey Martin, who died at age three; Wade N. Martin II (1903-1919), Maurine (Martin) Wilson (1895-1983) and Otto Carlston Martin (1889-1963), who became the distinguished Hartford lawyer and Commonwealth Attorney (1946-1956). He was a Deacon and Sunday School Teacher in Hartford Baptist 
Church for many years, and served as the Moderator of the Ohio County Baptist Association in 1934-1937. He was a grandson of the Wade N. Martins. His parents, grandparents, and brothers and sisters are buried in the Green River Cemetery. 

A Sesquicentennial History of the Green River Missionary Baptist Church 1836 - 1986, Written and Compiled by Wendell Holmes Rone, Sr., For the One Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary of the Founding of the Church, 1987.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013


HOWARD LEE MATTHEWS was probably called to the pastorate of the Green River Church in the month of July, 1950. It became his first Church to serve in this capacity. He was born in Ohio County, Kentucky, on January 14, 1931, near Fordsville. He is the son of the late Ira Matthews (b. January 5, 1902 - d. August 7, 1983) and Mary (Walker) Matthews (b. October 18, 1901 - d. August 22, 1983). His father was born at the Falls of Rough, Breckinridge County, Kentucky, and died at Fordsville, Ohio County, Kentucky. His mother was born at Pellville, Hancock County, Kentucky, and died only fifteen days after her husband, at Brook's Station, Bullitt County, Kentucky. Both of them are buried in the Pleasant Grove Baptist Church Cemetery in northeastern Ohio County, near Fordsville, where they held membership for years and where they served the Lord. Mrs. Matthews was a prominent teacher of children in Sunday School for years, while Brother Matthews served as a Deacon and Song Leader. They became the parents of five children - two sons and three daughters. Both sons became Baptist Ministers. Harold Matthews has been a missionary of the Southern Baptist Convention in the Philippines since 1957. Brother Howard Matthews was born on the family farm and attended the Shreve one room country school for five years, finished Hartford Junior High School and graduated from Hartford High School, Class of 1948, being the Valedictorian of the class. He received the A. B. Degree (Bachelor of Arts) from Western State University, Bowling Green. He secured the Bachelor of Divinity (B. D.) Degree from the Southern Baptist Seminary, Louisville, in 1956; and, the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) Degree from the same school, in 1973. While attending college he served these Green River Churches: (1950-1952), Pleasant Grove (1951`-1952) and Mt. Zion (1951-1952) Churches. He had attended the Pleasant Grove Church as a child, and was converted at Hartford Baptist Church under the preaching of a Brother Thatcher and was baptized by Pastor John A. Brown. He was licensed to preach by the First Baptist Church of Bowling Green, in 1950; and was ordained by the Hartford Baptist Church, in 1951. 

In addition to the Churches already mentioned, Brother Matthews has served the following additional ones: Zion, Ohio County (1952-1956); Mt. Zion, Hardin County (1957-1961); Buffalo, LaRue County (1961-1967; Whitesville, Daviess County (1967-1970); Utica, Daviess County (1970-1979); and Northeast Park, Evansville, Indiana, (1979 - ). In 1956-1957 he served as Moderator of the Ohio County Association. In 1959-1967 he served as the Moderator, and on the Church Training, Search and Budget Committees. While in the Daviess-McLean Association he served as the Moderator and on the Search and Church Training Committees. He also served on the Baptist State Board of Missions for two terms, and on the Credentials and the Historical Committees. He has preached the Annual Sermon before all the Associations where he has served. 

He was married to Miss Tholma [sic] Joan Carr (b. January 30, 1934), who was born in Detroit, Michigan, and is the daughter of the late Luther Hamilton Carr (d. in 1982) and Myrtle Edith (Drew) Carr (d. in 1971.) Her parents moved to Winslow, Indiana, in 1935, and to Hartford, Kentucky, in 1945. The Matthews married in early 1954, and have five children, as follows: Daniel Lee Matthews (b. February 22, 1955); Betty Jane Matthews (b. July 24, 1956); Luther Kevin Matthews (b. October 8, 1960); Robert Earl Matthews (October 14, 1963); and, Andrew Lynn Matthews (b. July 21, 1969). All are now (1987) married, and there are seven grandchildren. Brother Matthews served the Church through February, 1952, when he resigned to accept the care of the Zion Church in Ohio County. During his pastorate the basement Sunday School rooms were completed and furnished; the Church began having a regular Cemetery Committee to care for its cemetery; and, the Church began to use Mr. John Martin's bus to haul people to and from Church at a cost of $5.00 per week at first and $10.00 per week later. It was also during his pastorate that Mrs. Minnie Keown began her long tenure as Church Treasurer.

A Sesquicentennial History of the Green River Missionary Baptist Church 1836 - 1986, Written and Compiled by Wendell Holmes Rone, Sr., For the One Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary of the Founding of the Church, 1987.

Saturday, May 11, 2013


ARCHIBALD P. MONTAGUE, who was for many years a leading merchant at Cromwell in Ohio County prior to his death, was born on February 1, 1831, in Granville County, North Carolina; and removed at the age of twenty (1851) to Kentucky, and passed the remainder of his years in Warren, Logan and Ohio Counties of this State. About the year 1858 he was united in marriage to Nancy Ellen Leach (b. December 7, 1832, d. February 15, 1896), a native of Cromwell, and daughter of Joseph Leach (1796-1864) and Altha (Miller) Leach (1795-1865), both natives of Maryland. Her parents were devout Methodists, and her father was a Class Leader among them, who "stood high in the community" where he lived. They had six children, as follows: Charles C. Montague; Aralta (Montague) Sutton; Joseph Samuel Montague; Archibald A. Montague; Edwin Asbury Montague and Willie Cartwright Montague. 

Brother Montague became a member of the Green River Church by Christian experience and baptism during the great revival of December, 1863-January, 1864, and was baptized by Pastor Alfred Taylor. His wife united with the Church in like manner on March 23, 1864. From August, 1864, through October, 1868, he served as the Clerk of the Church. He was ordained on July 31, 1869, as a Deacon, after being chosen for the office by the Church the day before, by the same presbytery which ordained William Carey Taylor, Sr., to the Gospel Ministry - Baptist Ministers James F. Austin, Judson Slade Taylor and R. H. Miller. From the year 1866 through 1875, he served as the Recording Clerk of the Gasper River Baptist Association. His untimely death, at the age of fifty, occurred on April 28, 1881. His body was laid to rest in the East Providence Cemetery, Ohio County, Kentucky. Her death took place on February 15, 1896, in her sixty-third year, and she is buried there, too.

A Sesquicentennial History of the Green River Missionary Baptist Church 1836 - 1986, Written and Compiled by Wendell Holmes Rone, Sr., For the One Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary of the Founding of the Church, 1987.

Friday, May 10, 2013


THOMAS MINERVA MORTON: No minister in the history of the Association performed a greater work than Elder T. M. Morton, even though it was of short duration. Brother Morton was born near Ceralvo, Ohio County, Kentucky, on February 4, 1856. His parents were Thomas R. and Nancy Rhodes Morton. In early life he had the privilege of grade school and labored several years as a farmer and lumber man. In the latter mentioned business he was successful to a great extent. He was converted in 1872 under the ministry of Elder W. P. Bennett and was baptized into the fellowship of Walton's Creek Baptist Church, in Ohio County. For many years he fought against the call to preach but Divine Providence overruled that those years were not lost to the cause of Christ. While he followed other pursuits in this particular period, he developed that business capacity which God used later in making him a leader in church building enterprises and other financial affairs. God finally had his way with our brother and in 1892 the church into whose fellowship he was baptized granted him a license to preach and on February 14, 1896, ordained him to the ministry. Bro. John A. Bennett in writing his History of Walton's Creek Church for One Hundred Years, in 1914, has this to say concerning the conspicuous event: "How little the church knew of the importance of this event. It meant the sending forth into his great life-work the man who, as church builder, pastor and evangelist, grew into the most successful and efficient worker the Green River section has known in the past half-century." Elders D. J. K. Maddox, W. P. Bennett, E. H. Maddox, and John A. Bennett served on his ordaining council. From the very beginning of his ministry he was one of the most efficient evangelistic pastors to arise in many generations. He ranked with Elders J. S. Coleman and J M. Peay in this respect though his ministry was not nearly so long as theirs. 

Brother Morton served the following churches during his brief ministry of a little over sixteen years: Buck Creek 1896-1902 and 1903- 1906; Oak Grove (Utica) 1897-1903 ; Island, 1899-1901; Mt. Liberty 1900- 1901; Livermore 1902-1904; Pleasant Grove 1902-1909; Richland 1906; Sugar Grove 1906-1909; South Hampton 1907-1909; Panther Creek 1908-1909; all in this Association. He also served the Render, Nelsons Creek, and Sandy Creek Churches in neighboring Associations. During his ministry new buildings were erected at Island and Pleasant Grove. We have been informed that he pastored the church at Dawson Springs and built a new building there while laboring under the auspices of the State Mission Board. He was to have preached the Annual Sermon before the General Association in 1910 but death intervened. He died at his home in Livermore, Kentucky, on June 11, 1909. His body was laid to rest in the Livermore cemetery. Brother Morton was noted for his zeal, courage, and liberality. He literally wore himself out preaching in revivals and in the pastorate. He married Miss Laura Rowe in 1883. No children were born to this union. Tom Morton performed a lasting work in the Daviess County Association through the power of God and his works still follow him. 

"A HISTORY OF THE DAVIESS-McLEAN BAPTIST ASSOCIATION IN KENTUCKY, 1844-1943" by Wendell H. Rone. Probably published in 1944 by Messenger Job Printing Co., Inc., Owensboro, Kentucky, pp. 341-342.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013


GEORGE RENDER was born in Culpeper County, Virginia, in 1772, and died in Ohio County, Kentucky, on July 20, 1849, at age seventy-seven. He was a son of Robert Render I (1750-1825) and Sarah (Rowe) Render (c. 1752- c.1810). His parents were natives of Culpeper County, Virginia, died there in 1778. He had married Sarah Lewis, the daughter of Surles Lewis of Westmoreland County, Virginia. Robert Render I was a Revolutionary War Veteran. His wife, Sarah (Rowe) Render, was the daughter of George Rowe; and they were married in the year 1771, probably in Culpeper County, Virginia. Having sold their property there, they came to Woodford County, Kentucky, residing there in 1796-1799. While in that County they held membership in the famous Forks of Elkhorn Baptist Church (1788), where the grand old pioneer Baptist Minister, William Hickman (1747-1830), served as the Pastor. There their eldest sons, George and Robert (1775-1861), who were to reach such prominence in Baptist ranks in Ohio County years later, reached early manhood. 

On July 20, 1800, Robert Render I bought 150 acres of land on Lewis Creek, in Ohio County, Kentucky, from Ignatius Pigman, and moved upon it with his family. The area is now called Render. His wife, Sarah (Rowe) Render died about 1810. He died in 1825. Both are buried in the Render Memorial Cemetery at McHenry, Ohio County, Kentucky. From 1800 until their respective deaths, they held membership in the Beaver Dam Baptist Church. The following is recorded in old Minutes of Beaver Dam Church: "The Church met according to appointment, on the fourth Saturday, April, 1804, and after divine service, proceeded to business." The Church granted a letter of admission to Brother Inglebright, then opened the door for the reception of members. Received GEORGE RENDER, ROBERT RENDER, JOSHUA RENDER, John Maddox, Jacob Keel, Mary Shults, Nancy Bays, Polly Atherton, Sarah Leach, Elizabeth Springston and John Atherton by experience." These were duly baptized by the Pastor, Benjamin Tolbert, shortly thereafter. 

George Render was united in marriage to Elizabeth Miller, in Bourbon County, Kentucky, on January 13, 1798. Both George and Elizabeth (Miller) Render are buried in the Render Memorial Cemetery, McHenry, Kentucky, but the tombstone bearing his wife's name gives no dates. She is thought to have died about 1841. 

On October 7, 1797, George Render, then of Woodford County, bought of Ignatius Pigman 125 acres of land in Hardin County (later Ohio County), Kentucky, "on Williams Creek, a draft of Green River," for which he paid $150.00. Having become a member of the Beaver Dam Church, in 1804, George Render served as the Clerk of the Church in 1805-1814. He was ordained to the Baptist Ministry, at the request of the Church at Tanner's Meeting House (now Buck Creek), in 1813, and the Beaver Dam Church acquiesced in it, agreeing to also "travail for a Deacon until next meeting," as he had served as such in 1805-1813. He was ordained by Baptist Ministers Benjamin Tolbert and Joseph Taylor. He served the Tanner's Meeting House Church in 1813-1818; was one of the three Baptist Ministers who assisted in the organization of Walton's Creek Church, in 1814 - Joseph Taylor and Benjamin Tolbert being the other two. He often supplied the pulpit at Walton's Creek in Brother Tolbert's absence, and served as a Moderator at business meetings. He served the Pond Run Church as Pastor in 1841-1842. He joined Baptist Ministers Joseph Taylor and Alfred Taylor in the organization of the Green River Church in 1836; and the New Hope Church, Muhlenberg County, was organized by he and Pastor Alfred Taylor, in 1838. He also served as a Messenger from the Beaver Dam Church to the Gasper River Association in 1813-1814; 1832-1834; and also, as a Messenger to the Red River Association in 1810-1811. 

The Children of George and Elizabeth (Miller) Render were: Thomas Render (b. 1798 - d. 1828); Joshua Render (b. c. 1802 - c. 1831), George Render (b. c. 1804); and Mary "Polly" Render, who married Baruch Austin. They became the parents of Pastor James F. Austin, who served Green River Church three times in the office. He was a grandson of George Render. 

Harrison Taylor said of George Render: "(HE) ... The oldest son, was a preacher, well accepted where he was known, spent most of his time on his farm. He preached only at such suitable times as occurred, receiving no pay or salary from the Churches. He was a man of remarkable strength and melody of voice, which was pleasing and enchanting to his hearers. "George Render's children, so far as recollected, died early in life. Green and George Render, and Reverend James Austin, his only grandchildren, rank among our best citizens." Another said of George Render: "He was highly esteemed for consistent piety, rather than for any superior ability."

A Sesquicentennial History of the Green River Missionary Baptist Church 1836-1986, Written and Compiled by Wendell Holmes Rone, Sr., For the One Hundred And Fiftieth Anniversary Of The Founding Of The Church.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Some Things Never Change

Hartford Herald
May 23, 1894

The World's End

Everybody, especially scientists, has a different view of what the end of the world will be like. Here are six views on the subject, which have emanated from French scientists during the last few years:

1. The land surface is diminishing; then the human race will finally be drowned.
2. Ice is gradually accumulating at the North Pole, so that some day the earth will lose its equilibrium, and men will be utterly annihilated by the rush of moving objects.
3. The earth is moving toward the sun; the last man will finally be roasted alive.
4. Water is by degrees getting scarcer; in ages to come all beings, human and beastial, will perish with thirst.
5. The beginning of the year 3,000 men will retrograde; in the end they will be creatures no longer than an insect.
6. The sun is burning up; as Old Sol cools, the earth's glacial zones will enlarge, and humanity will be frozen to death.

Genealogy on TV

From Janice Brown:  Would you believe FOUR television series running later this year? Megan Smolenyak describes them in The Huffington Post at Check the link for details.

World War I - Ohio County

Hartford Herald
November 27, 1918

Ohio County Men Serving Overseas

We give below the name of Ohio County boys, serving overseas, as they have been sent in to us. This list is necessarily incomplete, but we will add to them each week the names of soldiers as they are sent in. You need not send their company or regiment but simply their names. Most of these boys are in France but some are in England, and other sections of Europe. Send in your son's name and tell your neighbor's to do the same. The names so far submitted are as follows:

Arthur H. Hendrlcks
Darrell Robertson
Ulysses C. Young
Corp. Thomas Young
Jimmie Hersley
Romey B. Smith
Sgt. C. C. Main
Chester Main
Hubert E. Wright
Robert A. Davis
Heavren Douglas
Ras Bennett
Elvis Johnson
Arthur B. Everly
Carl M. Murry
James Earl Plummer
Arthur P. Tilford
John W. Allen
J. Raymond Campbell
Alva W. Petty
Owen Bolton
Still Mason
Guy Heifner
Leonard Bishop
Robert E. Lamb
Richard L. Dever
Orville McKinney
Raymond McKinney
Pirtle Arnold
John W. Autrey
Lyman G. Barrett
Edwin H. Hamlett
Corbet Lake
Grover C. Greer
Bud Ambrose
Ray Bennett
Corp. Leonard Anderson
John D. Ham
Oscar Durall
Dr. F. B. DeWitt
Corp. Hallie J. Taylor
Roscoe Westerfield
Douglas Taylor
Oder Griffith
Wm. Bryan Holbrook
Ray Cobb
Willis Cobb
First Lieut. Everett B. Likens
Barney Baugh
Layton Ross
Kirby Park
Thomas Brown
Robert E. Price
Ernest E. Price
John R. Phipps
Coleman Tatum
Hubert Stevens
Capt. Douglas D. Felix
Walter Maddox
Clarence Eugene Ward
Owen T. Wallace
Ivory Lynch
Dee Carl Ferguson
Steve Grigsby
Nathaniel Hudson
Corp. Chas. W. Johnson
J. S. Loyal
Layton Ross
Corbett Rome
Millard H. Carnahan
Luther D. Jackson
A. D. Birch
Felix C. Birch
Mack Foreman
Alvin B. Porter
Everett D. Bruler
Ira Masttison
Clarence Culerey
Elbert Hill
Arthur Daniel
Leslie Jones
Fred Robinson
Herbert  Robinson
Harrison Robinson
Gilbert Fraize
Riley Taylor
Morrison C. Stephen
Jesse E. Felix
Hardin Riley
Seth Riley
Everette Leach
Kelly Pierce
Searcy Stewart.
Ora B. Ward
Lewis Bozarth
John Bozarth
Allen Bozarth
Mack Henshaw
Earty Stone
Owen Austin
Omer T. Wallace
Malin A. Bennett
Charlie Foster
Jesse V. Crow
J. F. Parks
Lee Keith
Lewis O. Read
Vernon Durham
John T. Brown
Corbet Cooper
Carl B. Ward
Lloyd Cavender
Walter Watson
Raymond Rowe
John Ward
Corp. Alva V. Wade
Sgt. W. C May
Horace Johnson
Walter A. Williams
Harrison Crumes
Speed Monroe
Dewey Alford
Ira Hazelip
John B. Hazelip
Bethel Johnston
Elton Wilson
Byron Leach
Chester Keown
Otis Curtis
Frank Tichenor
Herbert D. Roach
Frank James
General Hoover
Henry Arnold
Edward M. Smith
Carl B. Barnes, Prentiss
James A. Barnes, Prentiss
Arthur Edge
Robert Hamilton
George A. Wedding
Arthur Rhoads
Cecil Rhoads
Seth Rhoads
Charlie Lee Tucker
William Phillips
Virgil P. Kiper
Willie Espey
Arnold Brown
Walter K. Baker
Harry Stoy White
Garland F. Moore
Robt. O. Tilford
Geo. Whobrey
Clarence Hardin
Willie English
Corp. Ellis Brown
Roscoe Embry
Jobe N. Leach
Virgil P. Kiper
Vernon Orbs
Clarence Gabbert
Carlisle P. Williams
John C. Barnard
William Robertson
Albert Robertson
Corp. Ray Hawkins
John Render
Oswald C. Hocker
Sgt. Elver P. Hunter
Hiram A. Carter
Roy Frain
Boyse Maddox
Jesse Ashford
Lieut. Henry Smith
William H. Seibert
Clark O. Wilson
Artie Evans
Blaine Westerfield
Alfred R. Westerfleld
Alvis Farmer
Price Miller
Robert Archie Plummer
Lieut. Gilmore Keown
Roscoe Embry
John Eldred Leach
Clifford R. Maddox
John D. Autrey
Herman Morris
Rowan H. Raley
Corp. Ellis Brown
Maj. John L. Lallinger
Chester Peters
Ira Aaron Payton
Leslie Wayne Payton
Hubert Lynch
Percy A. Park
David L. Hurt
Simon Smith
Weslie Daniel
Arthur Daniel
Elijah W. Daniel
Robert H. Duke
Rocal C. Park
Cledie Evans
Estill Cook
Harrison Cook
Birch Albta
Mack Allen
Lonnie Daugherty
Henry Geary
Ben Turner

Hartford Herald
June 11, 1919


Below is given a list of Ohio County boys who were wounded or reported missing in action during the Great War:


Mausey B. Albin
Everett Lee Chapman
Harry Morton Crumes
Wesley Daniels
Emmett Debruler
William Decker
Cledie Evans
White Run
Chester Bruner Foster
Horse Branch
Clarence Hardin
Point Pleasant
Cecil Hoops
Beaver Dam
Ed Hoover
Ernest Hurt
Carroll M. Jarboe
Reynolds Station
Elvis Narrows
James Johnston
Reynolds Station
Leslie D. Jones
Argle W. Leach
Bev. P. McConnell
Thomas Murray Maddox
Joseph Maple
Robert S. Mason
Clarence Mitchell, Capt.
Herman Morris
Kelly Pierce
Herbert B. Roach
Beaver Dam
Leonard Rowe
Albert L. Stratahan
Searcy W. Stewart
Beaver Dam
Alva V. Wade
Omar Thomas Wallace
Walter Watson
Roscoe Westerfield
Cyrus Williams


James E. Stone, Hartford