May 23, 1894
The World's End
Everybody, especially scientists, has a different view of what the end of the world will be like. Here are six views on the subject, which have emanated from French scientists during the last few years:
1. The land surface is diminishing; then the human race will finally be drowned.
2. Ice is gradually accumulating at the North Pole, so that some day the earth will lose its equilibrium, and men will be utterly annihilated by the rush of moving objects.
3. The earth is moving toward the sun; the last man will finally be roasted alive.
4. Water is by degrees getting scarcer; in ages to come all beings, human and beastial, will perish with thirst.
5. The beginning of the year 3,000 men will retrograde; in the end they will be creatures no longer than an insect.
6. The sun is burning up; as Old Sol cools, the earth's glacial zones will enlarge, and humanity will be frozen to death.