Wednesday, April 29, 2020

DAVIS FAMILY & THE LEACH FAMILY CEMETERY


      DAVIS: About fifteen years ago I was searching cemeteries in Ohio County for distant relatives, including people named Davis because of a Leach-Davis connection I had found.  In March 2006 I took photos of five Davis grave markers that turned out to be unrelated to the Leach family and today I decided to post these photos as they might help someone.  I don’t know much about these people so I can add little to the photos and, sadly, I don’t recall where I took these 5 photos, except that it was in Ohio County.

1.  John T. Davis  14 March 1838 – 27 Dec 1908; wife Catheryne M. Shultz  5 May 1850 – 1915:


2. Mary E. Davis  17 Feb 1887 – 18 Apr 1907:


3. James Clinton Davis  29 Mar 1834 – 16 Sep 1902 (see bio posted 22 Aug 2015):



4. Thomas H. Davis  7 June 1864 – 17 Dec 1884 – son of James Clinton Davis:


5. Joseph Davis, son of G & M. A. Davis, 26 Apr 1868 – 27 Apr 1868:



     LEACH FAMILY CEMETERY: My Leach-Davis connection is with John Wesley Davis, born 2 May 1841, Butler County, and died 7 Jun 1904, Ohio County.  John Wesley served in the Civil War and his grave marker signifies his service.  John Wesley is buried in a small family cemetery located on property belonging to my great-grandfather, Samuel William Leach. John Wesley is probably buried in this cemetery because one of John Wesley’s daughters, Amanda, married Jacob Herman Leach, a nephew of my great-grandfather.  This small cemetery is located slightly east of the William H. Natcher Parkway; south of the Western Kentucky Parkway; north of Bald Knob Road; and west of Sandefur Crossing Road.  I found it by entering the property from Bald Knob Road but it was a difficult walk; it’s closer from Sandefur Crossing but there is a small creek (Threelick Fork) that you have to cross.  Here is a map with an approximate location of the cemetery marked in red:


          John Wesley Davis married Mary Jane Shroader (1847-1918) and they had ten children – one of which, Amanda, married Jacob Herman Leach, who was one of my many first cousins (after Amanda died Jacob married her sister, Olivia).

          Before taking this photo I first sprayed shaving cream on the stone and then used a soft squeegee to highlight the letters.  I was told that the shaving cream would not damage the stone as it washes off easily and does not contain any harsh chemicals.  I know that scraping or wire-brushing any grave marker will damage the stone and lead to ruin.



     In addition to John Wesley Davis, other markers found in this small cemetery are as follows:

- Samuel William Leach, 9 July 1857 – 13 Dec 1918 (my great-grandfather):



- Sarah Altha Leach, 15 Jan 1858 – 30 July 1883 (first wife of Henry Scott Leach, brother of Samuel William Leach):



- Jobe Leach, 11 Feb 1889 – 7 Oct 1889 (infant son of Sarah Altha & Henry Scott Leach):



 Henry Scott Leach, 18 Oct 1852 - 24 Sept 1900 and Elmedia/Almeda J. Sandefur Leach, 21 Oct 1862 – 6 Dec 1889 (second wife of Henry Scott Leach):



- Plus several other sunken graves without markers.

No comments:

Post a Comment