W. T. KING was born May 10, 1841, in
the youngest child and only son of Felix G. and Mary (Jones) King. The father's
parents were from Virginia, and settled at King's Ferry, opposite the city of
Evansville, Ind., at a time when there were but three houses in that place.
Felix G. King was the youngest of eight children; was twice married; the first
wife, Miss Jones, was a sister of Col. James G. Jones, of Evansville, Ind., at
one time attorney-general of the State, and colonel of the Forty-second
Volunteer Infantry in the late civil war; she died in 1843. After the death of
his wife, Mr. King engaged in mercantile business at Cromwell, Ohio Co., Ky.,
and married Miss Cynthia Angle, a kind, beautiful lady, of Sumner County, Tenn.
His death occurred at Cromwell, in 1846. After the death of his father, W. T.
was taken to Henderson County, Ky., and apprenticed to the tinner's trade, but ran away from his
employer in 1850, after which he worked at his trade, at farming, and carried
the mail from Rockport to Rome, Ind.; clerked in the postoffice in Cannelton,
Ind.; boated on the Ohio River; traveled in the interest of the stencil
engraving business in various places in Kentucky and Indiana; was in Cromwell,
Ky., at the beginning of the war, and in August, 1861, enlisted in Company D,
Seventeenth Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battles of
Fort Donelson and Shiloh, and was transferred to Company H; made an orderly sergeant,
and with Capt R. M. Davis, was the first Federal soldier inside the Confederate
works at Corinth, Miss. He was promoted first lieutenant of Company F, and
honorably discharged in 1863. After returning from service he was engaged in
contracting and building and farming in several places in Kentucky until 1870,
when he was appointed assistant assessor of internal revenue, with Ohio, McLean
and six other counties afterward added to his division, and moved to Hartford
same year. In 1872 he was appointed deputy collector of internal revenue, and
soon after appointed deputy United States marshal under Eli H. Murray, United
States marshal of Kentucky. In this branch of the service he was noted for his
bravery, and had eminent success in suppressing illicit distilling. So
efficient was he that the last year he served he was allowed extra pay by Hon.
B. H. Bristoe, secretary of the treasury. In 1877 he went into the hotel and
livery business in Hartford, Ky., which latter he still conducts on a large
scale in connection with selling wagons and agricultural implements. Mr. King
is a descendant of Whigs, and is himself a zealous working Republican in
politics. He was united in marriage with Miss Parmelia Nichols, December 3,
1863. They have four children, viz.: Maggie E., who graduated with first honors
from Hartford College, and now with her talented husband, Prof. J. D. Crow, is
conducting the schools at Nacogdoches, Nacogdoches Co., Tex.; William M., and
the twins, Lulie and Katie — the last three at home. Henderson County, Ky.
Source: J. H. BATTLE, W H. PERRIN, & G. C. KNIFFIN 1895
Note. William T. King died 10 June 1904 in Hartford and is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Hartford.