J. WILL COOPER, Ohio County, is the son of W. P. and Catherine Cooper, both natives of Ohio County, Ky.; the former born in 1819, and died in September, 1884; the latter born in 1829, and is still living. Both were consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. J. Will Cooper was born near Beaver Dam, August 19, 1852; was brought up in the same county, and was educated in Hartford College, under the principalship of Prof. Griffin. He has two brothers and two sisters: Ed. W., deputy county clerk and farmer; Mrs. Mary Austin (deceased); Charles, and Annie living on the old homestead, near Beaver Dam. Mr. Cooper went into business in 1868, at Beaver Dam, under the firm name of Cooper & Brother. Theirs was the iirst business house in that town. In 1875, he removed to Cromwell and went into the hotel and saloon business; afterward engaged in general merchandising, and was one of the leading dealers in that town. His store comprises general merchandise, furniture, agricultural implements, hardware, etc., etc. He is a young man of energy and ambition, and is doing a fine business in town and county. June 7, 1874, he married Annie Tilford, eldest daughter of W. G. Tilford, a leading citizen of Cromwell, and for many years a hotel keeper in that town. They have one daughter — Tomie, born in November 1876. J. W. Cooper moved from Cromwell, July 4, 1885, back to Beaver Dam, and is now engaged in the hotel business under the firm name of Beaver Dam Hotel Company.
Source: J. H. BATTLE, W H. PERRIN, & G. C. KNIFFIN 1895