Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Deeds and Documents from 1785-1799


The formation of Ohio County was in three steps:

1. Nelson County was originally formed from Jefferson County in 1785.  

2. Hardin County was formed from Nelson County in 1793.

3. Ohio County was formed from Hardin County in 1799.

Thus, there are some marriage licenses, deeds to property, and other records that were recorded in Nelson County during 1785-1793 and the same type of records were recorded in Hardin County in 1793-1799 – both contain records that relate to Ohio County. These records can be found in the Courthouses of Nelson and Hardin Counties. Also, you can access records for Hardin County at www.hccoky.org; near the bottom click on Recordings, then near the bottom click on Genealogy Information & Archival Records, then near the bottom click on Archival Records Search. I found two books to search under “Select the Index Book” and I used the Select Letter – Go to Index.  If you find something in the Index then you can go to the Book/Page Number to see the actual deed or document.  I used “P” and found several references to our Ignatius Pigman.  Once you get into the index you can go to the next page, or go backwards, by using the selections in the upper right or upper left corners.  Sadly, Nelson County does not have their old documents online.

However, I found a booklet prepared by the Nelson County Historical Society that shows abstracts of deeds recorded during 1785 – 1808 and I can see that some of these mention property located on Rough Creek, Green River, or other names obviously in Ohio County.  It appears this is Book Two and I have been unable to find Book One but I will keep looking. If one of you has Book One please consider scanning it and send it to me so I can post it. This booklet is only 8 pages long so I’ll post the entire book.  I marked some obvious references to Rough Creek and Green River but it might be better if you searched the names for your ancestors.










No comments:

Post a Comment