JAMES MILLER, Esq., Ohio County, was born in Shelby County, Ky., November 25, 1821, and in 1824, his parents removed to Ohio County, Ky. His father was James Miller, a native of Culpeper, County, Va., born in 1789. His mother was Amy S. (Anderson) Miller, born in New Jersey in 179l. James Miller, Sr., was a farmer and cabinet-maker by occupation, and was deputy sheriff, assessor and magistrate in Ohio County many years, and resided near the Panther Creek Baptist Church. He died January 1, 1871; his wife, Ann (Stout) Miller, died three days later, January 4, 1871, and both were buried in the same grave in the Panther Creek Cemetery. The grandfather was Robert Miller, who died in Shelby County, Ky. James and Amy Miller were the parents of ten children, of whom our subject is the sixth. He was married November 7, 1847, to Malvina, fourth child of Hilary and Margaret Bell. Mrs. Miller was born December 11, 1824, in Daviess County, and died November 5, 1874. They had nine children, of whom six are now living. James H. died August 30, 1852; William E. died October 19, 1872; Estil died March 27, 1871; Margaret S., Francis, Virgil (married to Mollie C. Ford), Nathaniel C. (a professor of music at Sacramento, McLean County; he was educated at Valparaiso, Ind.), James B., and Susan D. Mr. Miller received a good education in the schools of Ohio County, and at the age of twenty-one purchased his present farm of 165 acres of excellent land with pleasant and commodious farm buildings. In 1874, he was elected to the office of justice of the peace, for Ohio County, in which office he is now serving his third term. He is a leading member of the Baptist Church, at Panther Creek. Is a strong temperance man; and has been a member of the different temperance organizations of the day. He takes a deep interest in all progressive movements. In politics he is a Democrat.
Source: J. H. BATTLE, W H. PERRIN, & G. C. KNIFFIN 1895
Note: Mr. Miller died 23 Sep 1905 and is buried in Panther Creek Baptist Church Cemetery, Daviess County, KY.
Panther Creek Baptist Church