WILLIAM H. FULKERSON was born in Ohio County, December 13, 1822, and is
a son of Fulkerd and Mary (Coleman) Fulkerson, the former of whom was a native of Mercer and the latter a native of
They were of English and German descent, respectively. Fulkerd Fulkerson, when
a young man, about 1812, came with his parents, who were among the early settlers,
to Ohio County, Ky., then almost a wilderness. Here his father, Philip Fulkerson,
bought several thousand acres of military lands and improved a farm, upon which
he resided until his death. In this county Fulkerd Fulkerson was married, and
after attaining his majority improved a farm on a part of his father's
purchase, where he remained until the fall of 1823, when he sold and removed to
White County, Ill,, where he bought a farm, and resided for some thirty-five
years. His wife died in 1850, and in 1858 he sold his farm and returned to
Kentucky, making his home with his children until his death, which occurred in
April, 1867, in his seventy-second year. He and wife were life-long members of
the United Baptist Church. William H. Fulkerson received such an education as
could be obtained in the early schools of the Illinois frontier. He was employed
on his father's farm until he was sixteen years old. He then learned the
cooper's trade, and followed the same in Illinois for about four years. In
1842, he returned to Ohio County Ky., where he was employed almost exclusively
at his trade for some three years. In the winter of 1843 he got out and ran a
flat-boat load of staves down the rivers to New Orleans. In 1845 he bought a
partially improved farm near Rockport, where he was engaged in farming in
connection with his trade. In 1855 he sold this place and bought another in the
same neighborhood, upon which he resided for some ten years. In 1865 he again
sold out and bought the farm of 320 acres, which is now well improved, near
Hogg's Falls, upon which he now resides and where he is extensively and successfully
engaged in agricultural pursuits and in stock raising. For many years he made
the culture of tobacco a specialty. He was married, July 6, 1846, to Fannie R.
McConnell, a native of Muhlenburgh County, Ky. Eleven children were the fruit
of this union, ten of whom — six sons and four daughters — are yet living. Mr.
Fulkerson is and has been for over forty years a devoted member of the United
Baptist Church; is also a member of the Masonic fraternity, having taken his
degree at Hartford Lodge, No. 156, and he has been W. M. of Ceralvo Lodge No.
253, for some seven of eight years. In politics he is a Democrat. Ohio County, Ky.
Note: Mr. Fulkerson died 2 February 1905 in Ohio County and is buried in the Equality Cemetery.
SEPTIMUS PHILIP FULKERSON was born February 11, 1845, in Ohio County, Ky., where he has always resided. His father, Alfred Fulkerson, a native of Ohio County, died in 1861, aged about fifty years. He was a son of Philip Fulkerson. Alfred married Hannah, daughter of Septimus I. Taylor, of Ohio County; she died in 1876, about the age of fifty years, and their children are Margaret E. (Wallace), William T., Eliza J. (Dexter), John C, James A., Septimus P., Charles W., Priscilla M., and Sarah C. (Maddox). April 16, 1878, Mr. Fulkerson was married to Mary L., daughter of Elijah and Nancy (Stateler) Maddox, of Ohio County, born October 20, 1858, and to them have been born Ida E. (deceased), Nannie Ettie, and Owen Pigman. Mr. Fulkerson is a farmer and miner, and on the farm is chiefly engaged in raising corn, tobacco and stock. He is a member of the Methodist Church, and in politics a Democrat.
Mr. Fulkerson died 18 March 1914 in Daviess County and is buried in the Rosehill Elmwood Cemetery, Daviess County.